rescued tortoise lethargic and leaving spots of blood

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
The beak is overgrown, you can ask the vet about trimming it or you can try to do it yourself, but at this point it might just be added stress.Poor guy looks awfully swollen, I hope you can turn him around. One of my tortoises came to me with pneumonia, and my turtle came with a burnt top shell and was vomiting blood - they both turned out ok. Talk about survivors! I wish the best for you both, and keep your hopes up!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks for all the advice. He seems to be doing better under the new Mercury Wave Bulb. He lifts himself up while in the soak, and seemed interested in the dissolved Mazuri food pellets last night. His front legs also seem less puffy now. If he makes it, we're going to call him Lazarus. :)
Great news and I love the name

GingerLove

5 Year Member
You can revive this little guy! And Lazarus is an awesome name. ;)

elf2hats

Front Range of Colorado
Very sad to report that I decided to have him euthanized. I found a vet who was familiar with reptiles, and the prognosis was not good. You were correct about the pinkish tone and signs of being septic. Worse yet, when she pressed lightly on his belly, blood started dripping out between the plates on his plastron. The vet said he would require critical hospital care and intravenous feeding at a minimum, and even then it wasn't likely that he would make it. I was really hoping that I could help to turn his life around after what had clearly been years of ignorant neglect, but it ended up feeling like we were torturing him with attempts to save him.

This forum was super helpful. I learned so much in such a short time. I wish the previous owners for this little guy had tried to do some minimal research on how to care for him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Very sad to report that I decided to have him euthanized. I found a vet who was familiar with reptiles, and the prognosis was not good. You were correct about the pinkish tone and signs of being septic. Worse yet, when she pressed lightly on his belly, blood started dripping out between the plates on his plastron. The vet said he would require critical hospital care and intravenous feeding at a minimum, and even then it wasn't likely that he would make it. I was really hoping that I could help to turn his life around after what had clearly been years of ignorant neglect, but it ended up feeling like we were torturing him with attempts to save him.

This forum was super helpful. I learned so much in such a short time. I wish the previous owners for this little guy had tried to do some minimal research on how to care for him.
I am so terribly sorry.
You did the right thing, in my opinion, it was too late to save him and his life must have been one of great suffering and misery.
hope it doesn't put you off tortoises for ever, the info you acquired may be useful in times to come.
Wishing you all the very best for the future and thank you so much for what you did and tried to do.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
You did the right thing. I'm truly sorry. At least his last days were spent with someone who truly cared. I'm sure you made his pain a little more bearable.:tort::(

Pearly

5 Year Member
I am so very sorry! In my book you are a HERO for getting this poor baby out of bad situation. Unfortunately so many animals suffer neglect or abuse at the hands of us humans, so often out of pure ignorance! I am ashamed to say that 14 months ago I was probably as clueless as those people who got this poor tortoise into such sad state. Maybe only difference is that I would not rest until I got some, and more, and more information to find out what to feed and how to keep it right.
I'm sad for you that you had to make this hard decision, but know that this was out of kindness of your heart. God bless you for doing all that you've done❤️

Kasia

Poland

You did all you could for the little guy:(Deeply sorry for your loss:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man...that's awful. It's always hard to have them put down, but you know it was the best thing for this animal. So sorry you both had to go through this.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Sorry to hear this, but I think given the circumstances you did the right thing. At least he had a caring home for his last few days, and I commend you for trying to help him.

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Aww that's so terrible I feel for you! Well done like everyone else said! But How awful made my belly go over! You should take from the fact that the little guy at least won't be in pain no more! Heroic move my friend x

elf2hats

Front Range of Colorado
Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I have been greatly encouraged by this forum as a resource for information, and decided to take the plunge again. I found two young-ish female russian tortoises from a local guy who has been rescuing and caring for tortoises for many years. They immediately conducted a vigorous exploration of the outdoor enclosure (8'x6'x4'), then settled into basking in the sun, and then burrowed for the afternoon. It's delightful to see how healthy and strong they are.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I have been greatly encouraged by this forum as a resource for information, and decided to take the plunge again. I found two young-ish female russian tortoises from a local guy who has been rescuing and caring for tortoises for many years. They immediately conducted a vigorous exploration of the outdoor enclosure (8'x6'x4'), then settled into basking in the sun, and then burrowed for the afternoon. It's delightful to see how healthy and strong they are.
Happy to hear! Russians are known to be territorial so to avoid bullying and the more submissive one getting sick or injured, I'd separate them.
I'll be looking forward to reading their own thread with pictures of course and ALL details. Can't wait!!!