Rescuing a 5 year old Red Footed Tortoise - so overwhelmed!

NeverNot

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi! I'm Lisa (aka NeverNot), I live in Ontario Canada, and I am coming into possession of a 5 year old Red Footed Tortoise in a few days. I run a kitten rescue, but have zero reptile experience (no, there will be no mixing of cats and tortoises).

Right now the enclosure he is in is 3 by 2 feet, max. He can barely turn around in it. I know enough to know it isn't right. The owner is a friend going through life struggles, so I offered to take the animal to give it the care it deserves while they get their ducks in a row, so to speak.

I'm going to be spending all of my free time reading this forum. I must admit I have no idea where to start, although I'm sure there are threads to find that will help! I have space indoors and want to do it right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He will need a room size enclosure. None that are premade will be big enough unless it's a pop up greenhouse that can be placed indoors.
He will need it humid, 80%. Doesn't need a basking spot but does need heat and the enclosure needs to be 85. Also needs a tube flourescent uvb. Ceramic heat emitters are usually used for heat. Safe plants for hiding and coconut coir or orchid bark for substrate.

NeverNot

Ontario
He will need a room size enclosure. None that are premade will be big enough unless it's a pop up greenhouse that can be placed indoors.
He will need it humid, 80%. Doesn't need a basking spot but does need heat and the enclosure needs to be 85. Also needs a tube flourescent uvb. Ceramic heat emitters are usually used for heat. Safe plants for hiding and coconut coir or orchid bark for substrate.
Thanks for replying! I have lots of room and can make him a room sized enclose. If that's what he needs, then that's what he gets.

I was looking at pop up greenhouses actually. The space I have is temperature controlled but not humidity controlled. Thank you for the recommendations - it really does help when I'm starting from scratch!

NeverNot

Ontario

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The members here will help you with everything you need help with.
Ask away if needed.