Research on the Mederterainien Dwarf Palm

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
British columbia
The Mederterainien Dwarf Palm could be considered as an enclosure favorite for Greek keepers, according to recent research showing an apparent connection to the plant in studies conducted on a wild group in South-Western Spain.

"Amenities between the presence of tortoises and site vegetation structure
were developed by a superposition of the two layers (fig 3). There is a close relationship between the distribution of tortoises and the presence of dwarf palm (Chamaerops humilis) in the study area. In fact, C. humilis is the ideal habitat for tortoises in this environment where it plays a dual role in thermoregulation and also for shelter."

The study showed that the tortoises spent 33% of their active time among the palms, 65% in the grasslands, and around 1.3% among the alder closer to the ocean, a more humid environment.

Mederterainien Dwarf Palm seeds are sold widely online, and I suspect one would find this fairly easily at a local nursery, though it may be chemically grown or treated.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0855TRG6F/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Attachments

• 1581584468.jpg
    1581584468.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 3

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Yeah Its a tad on the arid side as palms go I would think, being more native to the South Western Medi. Would probably be perfect for South Cal

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah Its a tad on the arid side as palms go I would think, being more native to the South Western Medi. Would probably be perfect for South Cal
I looked it up. I'm zone 9 and this one would do well here. It says it can tolerate temps as low as 15-20 degrees. It is a rare and unusual cold winter night that drops below 30 here.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Well suited for sure. I envy your climate Tom, we are damp and cold here till pretty much May. I want some palm trees ?

Wow, tolerates -6 to -10 degrees C? Our winters only get colder than that for maybe a week in Jan or Feb.

I'm more likely just going to pot a few inside and move then in and out seasonally, sometimes when the temp does drop, it drops below -20C and the wind adds.