Researchers find a rare giant turtle in Vietnam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
This is great news. Add this to the two species Seycheles giant tortoises rediscovered.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I couldn't find it on the link. But that is great news!!

sorciere

10 Year Member!
Vietnam
Wow! It's great that you care about the news of the turtle from Vietnam, my country.
This kind of turtle is the same with the one in a famous legend of Vietnam about a turtle god that help a king to defeat the Chinese invasion and build the capital. Nowadays, there is still at least 1 giant turtle in the Sword Lake in the heart of Hanoi, our capital.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i read this several weeks ago and i think if i remember correctly there is believed to only exist 4 of turtles, 3 are captive, and 1 in Sword Lake. (cant open video to ensure im right but anyhow awesome find)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just heard yesterday that they had seen the female digging on one of the banks and later went to that site and discovered she had laid eggs.

Yvonne

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just heard yesterday that they had seen the female digging on one of the banks and later went to that site and discovered she had laid eggs.

Yvonne

wow that great to hear! so then i guess theres some hope!

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ok i looked everywhere and cant find that yvonne

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
sorciere said:
Wow! It's great that you care about the news of the turtle from Vietnam, my country.
This kind of turtle is the same with the one in a famous legend of Vietnam about a turtle god that help a king to defeat the Chinese invasion and build the capital. Nowadays, there is still at least 1 giant turtle in the Sword Lake in the heart of Hanoi, our capital.

WOW! That's amazing! Hey, congrats to you and your country, Sorciere! :rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Itort said:
This is great news. Add this to the two species Seycheles giant tortoises rediscovered.

I belong to the Turtle Survival Alliance and they also have a YAHOOgroup. But as luck would have it, the email they sent out letting us know about the eggs didn't come through the group, it was a personal email, and I delete my "trash" box after I read the emails, so I don't have it available. As I remember the story, some one captured the large female and flew it to wherever the male lives. They put a divider in the enclosure so that the male and female could get acquainted without physical contact, then after some time, took out the divider. Several days ago the female was observed digging on the bank, and later the eggs were discovered. I'm sure we'll be getting some sort of news announcement again about it, and when I do I'll copy/paste the address for you.

Yvonne

sorciere

10 Year Member!
Vietnam
Wow, this is really great.
I hope that Emesemys will soon have some more good news for us.
Many thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I promised to keep you updated on the rare soft shelled turtle (there are only 3 males and one female left in the world)

Here's the latest I've heard from TSA (Turtle Survival Alliance):

>>> Rafetus update from China - message from Rick Hudson

TSAGerald Kuchling arrived back in China and on 23 June excavated the nesting area where China Girl had been observed digging. A clutch of 45 eggs was excavated, 32 of which went into three incubators, the rest left in the sand for natural incubation. Four days later Gerald closely examined the eggs for development and reports that "17 show clear sign of development (clear round white patches, larger at higher temperatures), five with possible white patches, and 10 with no sign of development. Thus, 53%-68% of eggs have started to develop." And the female continues to come up on the beach and explore, leading to hopes that she will soon nest again.

With hatching expected in 50 - 70 days, and with egg laying estimated during the first week of June, we could have hatchlings by early August. Our next step is to get hatchling rearing units set up with adequate filtration, temperature control and lighting before then. The TSA has also hired a young Chinese American grad student, Emily King, to be stationed at the Suzhou Zoo for the next two months. Emily's job will be to monitor egg incubation and husbandry, and to communicate her observations to us.

We have a new donor to the Rafetus project - long time supporter the British Chelonia Group. They have offered to cover the cost of the three Lyon incubators and shipping costs, total $1,800 US. The TSA is also being asked to host the two Directors of the Suzhou and Changsha Zoo at the TSA conference in order to celebrate this historic event, and to build capacity for the long term future of this project. If anyone has a surplus of frequent flyer miles that can help with this request, or if you want to help support this effort, please let us know.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This is great news. Does anyone know what is age of sexual maturity? I dare say with the Chinese turtles and the Vietnamese one there may still be a little genetic diversity.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
totally awesome thanks for the update!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I had heard about the breeding, but hadn't yet heard about the eggs Yvonne. :D Thats great news that that many are fertile.

With all turtles and tortoises it's more size than age Larry. :D Of all the 4 turtles known the male from North Vietnam is the youngest, but still adult. I don't think anyone knows for sure what the minimum size is for a female to be mature as there have never been enough individuals around to study. They'll be learning on the fly with these hatchlings. :D

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne thanks for the update. That is such GREAT news. People we could be watching this species literally being brought back from the edge of extinction. Now that is mind blowing.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne, thanks for the update that is such good news. We could be watching this speices literally being brought back from the the edge of extention. Now that is mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.