Respiratory infection or not?

Aline

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi there...I’m the proud owner of Lucy...a 35 lbs Sulcata...Lucy has been kind of wheezing for a while and made me kind of concerned...no discharge on nose just that constant wheezing....we took her in last Sunday and the doc said if there are no discharge we should not be concerned about ( at least not yet)...well yesterday I notice very tiny bubbles out of her nose and today again....I already call the vet as he said he was gonna leave a prescription order anyways just in case we needed....so here is my question...how do you get a tortoise to take the med...I’m pretty sure we are getting liquid instead of tablets...and my second question is why is this happening? She has her own 4x8 shed with a pig mat and a ceramic heat in one side and the other side nothing in case she gets too warm which I often find her off the mat by morning when I open her shed...the ambience temp in there is around 80 to 85....any ideas of what we are doing wrong?
Also I should add that she has an under bite...the vet said it could be why she is so noisy breathing...have you ever heard that before?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep her temps day and night no lower then 85. I would hold off on any meds until you raise the temps and try the raised temps for at least a week. Keep her hydrated with warm soaks and water available. Lots of times it's just a runny nose and the warmer temps takes care of it.
Sometimes, a lot of times, meds make things worse before better and a lot of vets get things wrong when it comes too tortoises. 85 day and night with a basking spot of 95-100 for at least a week. If she starts getting better keep the temps up for a week after she is better. If you see anything get worse, keep the temps up and treat with meds.

Aline

California
Ok...I’ll try that...anyways she is out and about during the day...she has the whole yard to roam...I’ll try some soaks too but she does have 2 different soaking pans out for her... I did noticed she hasn’t been using them very much lately...her sleeping area gets her a toasty 100 easy at night...it’s just the whole shed is about 85...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ok...I’ll try that...anyways she is out and about during the day...she has the whole yard to roam...I’ll try some soaks too but she does have 2 different soaking pans out for her... I did noticed she hasn’t been using them very much lately...her sleeping area gets her a toasty 100 easy at night...it’s just the whole shed is about 85...

May be that the temps in the shed are too high during the night...I see you are in California....I do not know where? Where are you? I don't want your address or anything creeepy like that....just enough to get an idea of the temps and humidity.....clear bubbles do not automatically mean a RI...

Aline

California
I’m in Santa Rosa, that has been my big dilemma....too cold or 2 hot? I’m so confused right now...it’s almost 9 am and o just open up her shed...shed temp is almost 80 and she is a cozy 97 herself

Aline

California
One of my main concerns is how loud her breathing is...is that normal at all..?