Respiratory Infection treated, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2CAWoodys

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
I have a Central American Wood turtle that had a respiratory infection. At least, by my own research I'm pretty sure that was the problem. We don't have a vet locally that has any experience with turtles, so I looked up her symptoms (on here, actually) and took the information to my vet. They had me give her daily baytril injections for 7 days. Yesterday was her last shot, and she seems much better as far as she isn't gasping and the bubbles around her mouth are gone. She is also moving around more on her own. Her eyes still seem to stick shut, but open when I soak her in warm water twice a day. She still will not eat, though. The vet gave her 2 vitamin b shots about 4 days apart, still nothing. I have tried the processed turtle food, romaine lettuce, strawberries, kiwi, banana, live earthworms, dead mealworms, tomatoes, and today I even threw in a dandelion. Any ideas of what to do? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have heard before on here that some of the drugs they give torts will put them off food for awhile. I am not sure which one, but I do think its one you mentioned, as those are the ones mentioned the most on here. I would keep a little warmer then normal and keep soaking and offering food. Her favorites if she has any. Others will have ideas too. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't keep wood turtles, but my gleaned and somewhat sketchy knowledge of them tells me that they require a pretty moist habitat. I had a couple of rescues years ago and I kept them in a tilted habitat. The tilt allowed the bottom half of the habitat to be water and the upper half moist substrate. I think once your turtle is kept more moist the eyes will stay open on their own. But don't allow the temperature to drop. Cold and wet can be fatal you your already compromised turtle.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yvonne is spot on. These guys need it very humid. I would boost the temps to 85-89 and make it as humid as possible. Warm soaks are key. Baytril and antibiotics will supress hydration a bit. So soak a few times a day. Dont do anymore vita injections. You can soak in some baby.food or canned carrots/squash juice. This soak will boost glucose and vitamin a levels and should hopefully stimulate a little appetite after a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.