Rest In Peace Poppy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
As many of you may know, I rescued an infant Ornate Box turtle a few months ago, that still had it's egg tooth. I am deeply saddened to say that this morning that she had passed.

I have no idea what happened. She had been active, eating, drinking, and acting normal literally this morning. She had UVB, heat, everything. I think she was just so young, and since she was wild caught, god knows what she had already.

Rest in Peace Poppy! May you find fields of clovers and berries for all of eternity! :(:(

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I'm so, so sad for your loss. Poppy was very blessed to have a safe, happy time with you. Hugs.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Thanks all...

I am just so shaken. She never showed signs of sickness, and I really though I could help her get to a ripe old age. I know you take that risk when you rescue random ones from CL that were found in a yard, but it's been months. I really didn't think she was still in danger. It's just such a shock....

I already miss her little spunky personality.... :(

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost a CB hatchling about 2 years ago with a similar situation. Eating great, no signs of illness, even had a vet checkup 4 days prior. His heart just stopped. Its really hard to deal with the passing of such a tiny life, but you'll always have the memories.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Hunahpu said:
I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost a CB hatchling about 2 years ago with a similar situation. Eating great, no signs of illness, even had a vet checkup 4 days prior. His heart just stopped. Its really hard to deal with the passing of such a tiny life, but you'll always have the memories.

Yup. She passed in the afternoon and she had been fine literally just that morning.

I'll never forget her spunky attitude. She would just run over to me whenever I put my hand and crawl in my hand... loved to sit on me on the couch- and she was smaller than a quarter, so it was quite comical.

And since I'm only 14 it is probably harder- I've lost less than 10 pets my whole life, so I havn't gotten the whole "circle of life, it was going to happen, remember her and move on" attitude that so many tell me to use.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It is very hard to "move on" when you loose a pet. They will always be a part of you, no matter how much time passes. Hugs...

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
She sounds like a real sweetie. I'm sorry she passed.

Ripkabird98 said:
And since I'm only 14 it is probably harder- I've lost less than 10 pets my whole life, so I havn't gotten the whole "circle of life, it was going to happen, remember her and move on" attitude that so many tell me to use.

Unfortunately, losing pets doesn't get easier with age. Its always hard to lose someone you love. Deal with grief in whatever way suits you, not how other people tell you you should.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Hunahpu said:
She sounds like a real sweetie. I'm sorry she passed.

Ripkabird98 said:

Unfortunately, losing pets doesn't get easier with age. Its always hard to lose someone you love. Deal with grief in whatever way suits you, not how other people tell you you should.

I couldn't agree more, its always hard if you have a heart. I'm pretty cold when it comes to a lot of people, but animals and reading "passings" on here bring me close to tears every damn time... Wishing you the best!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm so sorry for you. I have know how attached people get to their pets...it's like losing a family member that's beloved. Most people don't believe how turtles /tortoises can be so lovable. They don't know what they're missing. Count your blessings that you've had that!

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
RIP ! At least you have him a good life, even if it was for a short amount of time !

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Thank you for the support. The worst part is thinking in the back of your brain, "did I cause it?". I know I didn't, but there is always that little thought....

It's like that everytime for me. Even when it was an accident. I think "if I did THAT instead of THIS would it still be alive?". It's torturous. I know I did everything humanly possible, but yet I have to blame someone- which always is me.

Status
Not open for further replies.