RETURN OF THE HERD First sighting: March 18 2022

TurtzInMyYard

Location (City and/or State)
AL
Last year, I made a point to study the wildlife who share my backyard with me. I've lived here in southern Alabama for the last six years. I frequently crossed paths with a turtle who seemed to know the landscape about as well as I did. It seemed that turtle had the gift of ubiquity as he appeared to be everywhere at the same time. I gave it notice, but little thought. Then I ran across three of the cutest tiniest turtles EVAH in the world. My first thought was how easily I could have stepped on one thinking it was no more than a misplaced stone. All three were within 18 inches or so of one another, just cruising through the yard. That got me interested and I wondered how many of the same turtle I was seeing. I was on a mission.

Every survey of my grounds came and went with a bottle of pink nail polish in my pocket. It turned out at season's end, I had marked 9 different turtles. I was shocked. I expected maybe two or three. I named each one of them something genuinely uninspiring. Please restrain the urge to become pedantic over the fingernail polish. Let there be peace.

The first to be so cruelly branded with pink embellishment was "Drip", followed by "Drop", then Stripe, Dot, Bud, Max, Tilly, Baby and T-Rex. Keep in mind, I had no idea the sex of any of these turtles. Drip was my favorite because I saw her/him everyday. It didn't take her long to figure out that an apple wedge in the hand was worth two snails under the hostas. She took to hand feeding right away. As if that weren't thrilling enough, she got to where she would make herself 'visible' and crawl out from under the hosta leaves so I could see her. If I pretended not to, she would crawl down the hill and make her way to me, begging for a treat. Her begging only lasts as long as it takes me to see her and cut a wedge of apple. She has a sweet and casual personality.

Drop is different. Drop is a female turtle. I now know this because of T-Rex. T-Rex was not a part of the 8 member herd all spring. He was fashionably late, not making his debut until late August. I didn't know his sex either. I hung him with the name T-Rex because he looks so 'jurrasic'. One day as I was enjoying my walk around the place, I notice something odd going on under the bird feeder. I couldn't make it out to save my life. I'm no good with unsolved mysteries, so I went to investigate. Well, my goodness. Would you look at that? Drop is quite obviously a female and there can be no doubt, I named T-Rex on point. There they were, in all their glory, engaging in what might well be the last mating of the season before brumation would ensue. Now, I knew, at least two of the nine sexes of my herd. That was in mid-October. None of them would be seen again that season, except for Rex. He made a surprising, and again fashionably late appearance in the middle of November. Satisfied that the harem were no where in sight, he accepted my apple wedge as a brumation gift and wandered back into the forest. I was very surprised how quickly Rex accepted my gift and one year later, he makes himself known for the price of a wedge of apple and has no hesitation about hand feeding either.

Drop is more of a wild turtle. She would really rather forego the wedge of apple or watermelon in preference of maintaining her stealthy nature. Unlike most of the herd, she is far more cautious and prefers to go unnoticed. But...when she's been detected at close range, she will stay rather than flee. The first time I offered her an apple wedge, she took off running for the forest. That's ok, maybe another day. It wasn't long before she was taking it from my hand and would even take steps toward me to get it. But this is a turtle who is gone in sixty seconds.

The only other turtle I engage frequently is Tilly. Initially, it seemed as though Drip and Drop were buddies because it seemed like they both gravitated toward the north lawn. It is a narrow strip measuring something around 40 ft between the garage and the neighbors fence. It is typically a piece of lawn less traveled by humans and squirrels. There is very little vegetation in which to seek cover, but it is quiet and there is a small population of snails in the area. Their association began to be less frequent and I think it is probably because Drip likes the human and isn't afraid, whereas Drop would rather avoid the contact altogether. But Drip was not without a friend for long. I began seeing Tilly and Drip team up. I have a 'quarter bed' situated between the wall of the garage and the brick wall. I fits snugly into the corner where the brick wall meets the garage wall. In that bed are some undependable Iris's, a single Amaryllis and a dwarf Japanese maple. Tilly and Drip can often be found under the mulch a few feet apart.

Last year, I developed a theory that not all of my herd were 'residents'. Some of them you see every day, or at least every other day. The others are seen less frequently and don't seem to 'hang around'. I mean to say, you aren't likely to see Bud or Max lounging around any burrows around the house or under the hostas. I wonder if maybe they are 'travelers'. It might be that my yard is simply 'in their way' to where they're going. Yesterday, I made the determination Max is a male. I spotted him in a place where I don't normally see turtles. He was creeping along the brow of a stand of trees in the front lawn, heading toward the south woods. I wasn't sure from the distance exactly 'who' I was looking at. I though it was Dot because I saw she had burrowed under the pine mulch in the front beds, which I have never seen a turtle there either. I went to confirm the identity but couldn't make it out well. Finally, I was able to remember, pulled out my nail polish and freshened his mark. I walked around the grounds and came full circle, very surprised to see Rex in the front lawn. I spoke to him. It wasn't the first time I'd seen him that day. I was on my first cup of coffee and headed out into the backyard with it. I made about ten steps and spied something in the path to the north lawn. Probably a limb from last nights thunderboomers. As I approached the image became clear. It was Rex mating Drop...for at least the second time this spring. This is at least 3 times I have witnessed the two of them mating. Make that four. I forgot about late last summer. I laughed to myself but continued on my way in spite. If you're going to copulate in the middle of my path to the lawn, expect to be interrupted. Poor Rex. He was 'stuck in'. Drop wore the look of sheer panic. She even began to drag him along her route. Rex rolled his head over at me as if to say...'Really'? I left them to their business and checked my roses. Satisfied everything there looked great, I headed back. When I came around the corner, they were still locked up. I mentally gestured a pardon and hurried on my way past them. I looked back to see Rex standing on his license plate with his head thrown back. Drop was stretching her neck far above the tall grass, all eyes on me. I went off and left them be. About an hour later, I checked just in time to see them part...and true to her nature, Drop was gone in sixty seconds. No apple for her, but Rex took his.

When I saw him this time, he was not really hiding, he was just lounging on top of the pine mulch. Rex is a nickname. His formal name is Casa Nova. "Rex, old buddy, you just missed Max, which is probably a good thing, but what are you doing in this neck of the yard?" He just looked like a dinosaur at me. Then it hit me. Oh, yeah, Dot hangs out here. But, again, I cannot be sure Dot is a female and haven't had as much interaction with her/him.

So, you're all up to date. My herd has returned except for Drip and Baby. Baby is the only baby turtle I saw last year. Baby hung out in the north lawn under the plumbago. I haven't seen Baby since. I haven't given up on Drip. It's still early and the hostas are just barely breaking the ground. Maybe she will show up pretty soon.

I need to come back and edit this to include some photos. WARNING: some may find these images to contain offensive or graphic content. Pink fingernail polish will be in evidence.

Happy Easter Y'all.

Attachments

• 240532922_6638180319528995_676219448650427465_n.jpg
    240532922_6638180319528995_676219448650427465_n.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 15

TurtzInMyYard

AL
T-Rex showed up this morning and I fed him his apple wedge, albeit without the usual enthusiasm. I suspect he had other things on his mind. His favorite girl was located about 20 yards away at the Japanese Maple. She was just emerging from her bed or nest? It was a cool 0720 and a bit overcast. It rained a good rain again last night and the herd may have enjoyed a great feast and not so hungry this morning.

As it turned out, I'm pretty sure I botched Rex's plan of attack. He was headed up the small incline toward the bird feeder. As I watched Drop plot her heading, she too seemed to be headed there as well. Thanks to Rex choosing food over sex, he missed the opportunity. Had he not accepted the apple, he would have met Drop and well...they are 'fond' of each other shall we say. Both of them set out for the woods, seemingly without a clue that one was traveling ahead of the other. But then again...maybe they have a back up meeting place.

I didn't see Tilly or Dot today, but somebody new showed up. I'm pretty certain it is a female. I watched her from a long distance. When I first spotted her, I thought it might be Max. I do not know Max's travel habits yet. But this turtle seems to have been coming from across the road. She stealthily creeped in the grass parallel with the concrete driveway. She jacked her shell up a rung higher once she met the concrete. I can't imagine what pulling your shell across concrete would be like, but I imagine it to be unpleasant, but it looked quite funny. It reminds me of one of those 'monster trucks' where you need a ladder to climb into it.

It seemed to me she wasn't hesitant about her destination. It made me think it is an often traveled route. I wonder if I will see her again? I still haven't seen Drip yet.

Well that's it for today, thanks for the visit. Ciao!

TurtzInMyYard

AL
A typical morning finds me at my keyboard constructing words and thought on virtual paper, typically formulating admonishments toward behaviors of the United States government and the American people. Suffice it to say, too heavy an article to write so early in the morn.

As luck, or providence would have it, I experienced a welcomed distraction outside the window next to me. Someone was coming. I couldn't make out who it was, but they were coming. I continued to add the last paragraph to my article (who am I kidding, there is no such thing as last). I went to the fridge and cut a couple of apple wedges. But then I spotted Rex on the hill above the coming turtle. I decided to delay. Rex has found a high point overlooking the south lawn. Clever fellow. From that vantage point, he can survey what he clearly holds as his kingdom. Any turtle, from any direction will be detected crossing the open lawn.

But, in this case, his vantage point put him at a disadvantage. This turtle didn't cross the lawn. It skirted the leaf line of the trees. It seemed to be headed toward the bird feeder too. This turtle was out of his line of sight, being hidden below his vantage point. I decided I would watch to see what happened. As it turned out, the mystery turtle coming was Tilly. As I say, I don't know everyone's sex. Tilly could be trans for all I know.

I cannot articulate the reasons why I think certain things about these turtles. I didn't think much of it last year, but for some reason this year, I wondered if Tilly was an aged turtle. Since I know nothing about turtles, I'm making it up until they show me something different.

As I watched Tilly come 'round the big oak, I thought, "Ok...she's shortly going to come into Rex's view. Instead of heading up to the feeder, she came to the porch. Our back porch is elevated. As I watched her, I saw some peculiar behavior. She was actually stretching her neck, raising up to see if I was anywhere around. I stayed out of sight, in the house watching. All of the sudden there was movement from the vantage point.

I have never seen a turtle run. When Rex saw the figure of a turtle, he was all legs. He was moving so fast, I said aloud, "If you get to going too fast, you're going to roll down that hill, come to a stop at her feet...and I will laugh my arse off. No matter how loyal you are to a male turtle in heat...there are just some things 'you can't, not laugh at'.

Something surprising happened. After that Le Mans sprint to meet up with this turtle, when he arrived, it was rather like, "Oh...it's you..." And Rex exited forthwith and headed to the front mulch beds.

So, those of you who speak turtle...what does this encounter possibly indicate or suggest? My mind goes back to March when they reappeared. I wondered if Tilly might be aged? Under what circumstances would a male turtle, hurl himself down a hill, only to turn up his nose and go walkabout?

Today only saw Tilly, Rex and Dot. That's all today folks...except, the Bluebird house I built was claimed within two days of putting it on the market. It currently contains a very tidy and neat nest with 5 eggs. But that's a whole other thread on a whole other forum. Ciao!

He has painted his target and its bombs away.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
A typical morning finds me at my keyboard constructing words and thought on virtual paper, typically formulating admonishments toward behaviors of the United States government and the American people. Suffice it to say, too heavy an article to write so early in the morn.

As luck, or providence would have it, I experienced a welcomed distraction outside the window next to me. Someone was coming. I couldn't make out who it was, but they were coming. I continued to add the last paragraph to my article (who am I kidding, there is no such thing as last). I went to the fridge and cut a couple of apple wedges. But then I spotted Rex on the hill above the coming turtle. I decided to delay. Rex has found a high point overlooking the south lawn. Clever fellow. From that vantage point, he can survey what he clearly holds as his kingdom. Any turtle, from any direction will be detected crossing the open lawn.

But, in this case, his vantage point put him at a disadvantage. This turtle didn't cross the lawn. It skirted the leaf line of the trees. It seemed to be headed toward the bird feeder too. This turtle was out of his line of sight, being hidden below his vantage point. I decided I would watch to see what happened. As it turned out, the mystery turtle coming was Tilly. As I say, I don't know everyone's sex. Tilly could be trans for all I know.

I cannot articulate the reasons why I think certain things about these turtles. I didn't think much of it last year, but for some reason this year, I wondered if Tilly was an aged turtle. Since I know nothing about turtles, I'm making it up until they show me something different.

As I watched Tilly come 'round the big oak, I thought, "Ok...she's shortly going to come into Rex's view. Instead of heading up to the feeder, she came to the porch. Our back porch is elevated. As I watched her, I saw some peculiar behavior. She was actually stretching her neck, raising up to see if I was anywhere around. I stayed out of sight, in the house watching. All of the sudden there was movement from the vantage point.

I have never seen a turtle run. When Rex saw the figure of a turtle, he was all legs. He was moving so fast, I said aloud, "If you get to going too fast, you're going to roll down that hill, come to a stop at her feet...and I will laugh my arse off. No matter how loyal you are to a male turtle in heat...there are just some things 'you can't, not laugh at'.

Something surprising happened. After that Le Mans sprint to meet up with this turtle, when he arrived, it was rather like, "Oh...it's you..." And Rex exited forthwith and headed to the front mulch beds.

So, those of you who speak turtle...what does this encounter possibly indicate or suggest? My mind goes back to March when they reappeared. I wondered if Tilly might be aged? Under what circumstances would a male turtle, hurl himself down a hill, only to turn up his nose and go walkabout?

Today only saw Tilly, Rex and Dot. That's all today folks...except, the Bluebird house I built was claimed within two days of putting it on the market. It currently contains a very tidy and neat nest with 5 eggs. But that's a whole other thread on a whole other forum. Ciao!

He has painted his target and its bombs away.
Maybe Tilly isn't a she OR she just said "no way". Welcome back. It's been a while in between stories. And from here a windy spring. Today I just saw my 2nd turtle of the spring while walking. We had a little chat & I continued on. While I was in Colorado, I would count rabbits out on my walks. We had a couple living in our yard. I"ve only seen 1 rabbit since we moved to Oklahoma. So i'm hoping for more turtles.

TurtzInMyYard

AL
Maybe Tilly isn't a she OR she just said "no way". Welcome back. It's been a while in between stories. And from here a windy spring. Today I just saw my 2nd turtle of the spring while walking. We had a little chat & I continued on. While I was in Colorado, I would count rabbits out on my walks. We had a couple living in our yard. I"ve only seen 1 rabbit since we moved to Oklahoma. So i'm hoping for more turtles.
A beautiful spring mar-nin' to ya!

Indeed. I'm inclined to agree with you, especially after what I saw this morning, which I plan to write about now. It's funny...it seems to me they found me, rather than me finding them. I've lived here for six years and hadn't taken any notice of such before two years ago. Now...I'm all in....

TurtzInMyYard

AL
Beautiful spring morning, perfect in fact. Well, maybe not for everybody. It has been confirmed. Dot is a female. What would I do without Rex helping me unravel these mysteries? I appreciate his service, however...not everyone does. Dot, for example. No...uh-uh...forget it, ain't happening, and you're a fool for trying it.

As I came out this morning I saw Dot at the corner of the house, south lawn. What I didn't see at first was that T-Rex was further around the corner. He was about 5 feet from Dot. It was apparent they had met and there had been a cold reception. Dot employed her draw bridge and was locked up tighter than a tank. In the time it took to get the wedge of apple and back outside, which took several minutes more than usual, Dot had not moved and was still locked up tight. I passed her by and gave Rex some sustenance. Poor chap...He gave it a good go and was persistent...twice. He made another attempt a bit later. I got some footage of him actually rolling down the hill and turned upside down and showing his under-roos. I think I managed to accidentally deleted it and my icloud is full.

In the meantime, Rex happily accepted my offering of condolence and I left him to enjoy his apple. When I passed Dot...she was dug in, drawbridge never to be lowered again.

As I sat writing, I decided to go to the south window to see how Rex was coming on his apple. I got a surprise. There he was, atop Dot. Now how did that happen? She had somehow managed to stay locked up so long, she didn't know where Rex ventured off to. I guess she wanted to get undercover and headed back to the front beds mulched with pine straw from whence she claims her day den. Her den just happened to be in the direction Rex has gone, and I suppose he entrapped her again. It is very easy to locate turtles and find their daytime napping areas. There's always a large hole in the mulch where they enter and exit.

I stood laughing at the window because Rex was positioned on top of Dot, not getting any cooperation from her at all. But he was content to keep her pinned there while he grazed on the apple wedge next to them. Dot has not gotten her apple because she was 'locked up'. Imagine being pinned in such a way, not having had your breakfast and being forced to watch the beast have his?

Since then, and repeated checks, I think I can vouch for Dot...she kept her dignity. Dot had disappeared, leaving Rex behind. He alone remained. I have learned the success of mating can linger for hours and so have concluded this was an aborted mission. As I passed him, I couldn't resist a bit of a chide; "Struck out, didn't ya Rex?. He craned his neck and looked up at me without comment. We parted and I can only assume, he is bent on finding a female willing to entertain his company.

All the while, I knew his favorite girl, Drop was near the bird feeder where turtles typically meet up. I had given her the first wedge of the day. I never told him she was 'available'. Some things are just better left unsaid.

So, overall, a productive and educational morning for all! I learned that Dot is in fact female and totally NOT INTERESTED in a dalliance today, if ever. I learned that Rex is not monogamous after all. Somehow I think Drop is quite more than fine with that. She's the turtle who is gone in 60 seconds. For her, Rex is a wham-bam thank you man...I'm outta here get together. We're turtles, this is what we do; mate, eat apple wedges from the human, lay eggs and move on. Make it short, sweet and to the point. She is a very no-nonsense, git 'er done kinda turtle.

I'm off to create a docudrama.....G'day............

TurtzInMyYard

AL
I am very relieved and happy to announce DRIP has finally found her way back to the herd. I was beginning to wonder if something untoward befell her. She was looking very dapper and fresh, still bearing some fading pink paint. It was so faded the 'drip' part of her paint job was gone and only a 'dot' remained. I've never wanted to hug a turtle so much. Somehow I think that isn't appropriate but it was nonetheless thrilling to see her return. Something is different. She behaves as though she does not want to be seen. When she accepted the watermelon from my hand, she hurriedly headed for the cover, under the steps. Maybe she just got here, ,from whence ever she came and hadn't yet surveyed that land or who might be on it. I saw Tilly in the north bed against the fence. It's a new bed...with 2 raspberry bushes, 2 black berry bushes and 2 blueberry bushes. This could be a problem. Do turtles eat rose petals? Some of my New Dawn Roses have dropped petals and that is where she was. She may not have discovered the berry bushes yet.

I bid Tilly good morning and told her to stay out of my berries and that she should come and see Drip! Of course Tilly and Drip may already have shared their reunion. They were often seen together last year. It's fantastic to see Drip.

Max even made a brief appearance yesterday. I haven't seen Bud for some time. I can't remember if I have seen Stripe. I have no idea of sex, I do know Strip is a Right front partial amputee. I call it a 'she' but could go either way. Have not been able to observe behavior of it.

Its a turtle kind of morning. I rained off and on all night and there's a misty fog. Perfect weather for hunting snails and worms.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
It's always great to see our friends return year after year. I used to have a slew of box turtles, all deformed in some way but all wild....I would keep them for 6-8 weeks in the summers as I found them, then let them all go in a good rainstorm. Year after year I would see most.

Keep on turtling!

TurtzInMyYard

AL
It's always great to see our friends return year after year. I used to have a slew of box turtles, all deformed in some way but all wild....I would keep them for 6-8 weeks in the summers as I found them, then let them all go in a good rainstorm. Year after year I would see most.

Keep on turtling!
Yes, I loved seeing the same ones come back here to this place.

TurtzInMyYard

AL
I had a total systems failure and am coming to you now via a brand new laptop. So...I'll need a few more days to adjust to my new lap buddy. Computers are wonderful things but it's hard to keep up with all the new technology. Anyways....there is a definite delay in my next contribution to the ongoing story of TurtzInMyYard...

TurtzInMyYard

AL
Good morning! Today I want to introduce and focus on one member of my herd. Her name is “Drop”. This turtle is the one I told you would rather forego food in preference of going unnoticed. I typically don’t handle any of my turtles but I finally decided to study my turtles a little bit more closely.

I picked up Drop and inspected her. Now, I understand a bit better why she is so elusive. At some point in her life she has suffered some sort of serious calamity. Upon closer inspection it is clear, her shell is disfigured. I wonder if she met with a lawn mower or ran over by a car or something I can’t imagine. Would love for you to make your remarks or guesses as to what might have happened to her, not that we will ever really know.
Oh, and I have never seen her completely withdraw into her shell. I'm not certain she can. I tried to get her to hinge herself in...nope.
IMG_0919.JPGIMG_0920.JPGIMG_0790.JPGIMG_0918.JPGIMG_0791.JPG

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looks like she went through different traumas at different times. Like car or machine, also dog bite. They are so resilient!

TurtzInMyYard

AL
Looks like she went through different traumas at different times. Like car or machine, also dog bite. They are so resilient!
Indeed...she's been through it but even though she would rather go unnoticed, if I put a piece of watermelon in view, she will crawl over and take it from me

lynnefay

OREGON
Last year, I made a point to study the wildlife who share my backyard with me. I've lived here in southern Alabama for the last six years. I frequently crossed paths with a turtle who seemed to know the landscape about as well as I did. It seemed that turtle had the gift of ubiquity as he appeared to be everywhere at the same time. I gave it notice, but little thought. Then I ran across three of the cutest tiniest turtles EVAH in the world. My first thought was how easily I could have stepped on one thinking it was no more than a misplaced stone. All three were within 18 inches or so of one another, just cruising through the yard. That got me interested and I wondered how many of the same turtle I was seeing. I was on a mission.

Every survey of my grounds came and went with a bottle of pink nail polish in my pocket. It turned out at season's end, I had marked 9 different turtles. I was shocked. I expected maybe two or three. I named each one of them something genuinely uninspiring. Please restrain the urge to become pedantic over the fingernail polish. Let there be peace.

The first to be so cruelly branded with pink embellishment was "Drip", followed by "Drop", then Stripe, Dot, Bud, Max, Tilly, Baby and T-Rex. Keep in mind, I had no idea the sex of any of these turtles. Drip was my favorite because I saw her/him everyday. It didn't take her long to figure out that an apple wedge in the hand was worth two snails under the hostas. She took to hand feeding right away. As if that weren't thrilling enough, she got to where she would make herself 'visible' and crawl out from under the hosta leaves so I could see her. If I pretended not to, she would crawl down the hill and make her way to me, begging for a treat. Her begging only lasts as long as it takes me to see her and cut a wedge of apple. She has a sweet and casual personality.

Drop is different. Drop is a female turtle. I now know this because of T-Rex. T-Rex was not a part of the 8 member herd all spring. He was fashionably late, not making his debut until late August. I didn't know his sex either. I hung him with the name T-Rex because he looks so 'jurrasic'. One day as I was enjoying my walk around the place, I notice something odd going on under the bird feeder. I couldn't make it out to save my life. I'm no good with unsolved mysteries, so I went to investigate. Well, my goodness. Would you look at that? Drop is quite obviously a female and there can be no doubt, I named T-Rex on point. There they were, in all their glory, engaging in what might well be the last mating of the season before brumation would ensue. Now, I knew, at least two of the nine sexes of my herd. That was in mid-October. None of them would be seen again that season, except for Rex. He made a surprising, and again fashionably late appearance in the middle of November. Satisfied that the harem were no where in sight, he accepted my apple wedge as a brumation gift and wandered back into the forest. I was very surprised how quickly Rex accepted my gift and one year later, he makes himself known for the price of a wedge of apple and has no hesitation about hand feeding either.

Drop is more of a wild turtle. She would really rather forego the wedge of apple or watermelon in preference of maintaining her stealthy nature. Unlike most of the herd, she is far more cautious and prefers to go unnoticed. But...when she's been detected at close range, she will stay rather than flee. The first time I offered her an apple wedge, she took off running for the forest. That's ok, maybe another day. It wasn't long before she was taking it from my hand and would even take steps toward me to get it. But this is a turtle who is gone in sixty seconds.

The only other turtle I engage frequently is Tilly. Initially, it seemed as though Drip and Drop were buddies because it seemed like they both gravitated toward the north lawn. It is a narrow strip measuring something around 40 ft between the garage and the neighbors fence. It is typically a piece of lawn less traveled by humans and squirrels. There is very little vegetation in which to seek cover, but it is quiet and there is a small population of snails in the area. Their association began to be less frequent and I think it is probably because Drip likes the human and isn't afraid, whereas Drop would rather avoid the contact altogether. But Drip was not without a friend for long. I began seeing Tilly and Drip team up. I have a 'quarter bed' situated between the wall of the garage and the brick wall. I fits snugly into the corner where the brick wall meets the garage wall. In that bed are some undependable Iris's, a single Amaryllis and a dwarf Japanese maple. Tilly and Drip can often be found under the mulch a few feet apart.

Last year, I developed a theory that not all of my herd were 'residents'. Some of them you see every day, or at least every other day. The others are seen less frequently and don't seem to 'hang around'. I mean to say, you aren't likely to see Bud or Max lounging around any burrows around the house or under the hostas. I wonder if maybe they are 'travelers'. It might be that my yard is simply 'in their way' to where they're going. Yesterday, I made the determination Max is a male. I spotted him in a place where I don't normally see turtles. He was creeping along the brow of a stand of trees in the front lawn, heading toward the south woods. I wasn't sure from the distance exactly 'who' I was looking at. I though it was Dot because I saw she had burrowed under the pine mulch in the front beds, which I have never seen a turtle there either. I went to confirm the identity but couldn't make it out well. Finally, I was able to remember, pulled out my nail polish and freshened his mark. I walked around the grounds and came full circle, very surprised to see Rex in the front lawn. I spoke to him. It wasn't the first time I'd seen him that day. I was on my first cup of coffee and headed out into the backyard with it. I made about ten steps and spied something in the path to the north lawn. Probably a limb from last nights thunderboomers. As I approached the image became clear. It was Rex mating Drop...for at least the second time this spring. This is at least 3 times I have witnessed the two of them mating. Make that four. I forgot about late last summer. I laughed to myself but continued on my way in spite. If you're going to copulate in the middle of my path to the lawn, expect to be interrupted. Poor Rex. He was 'stuck in'. Drop wore the look of sheer panic. She even began to drag him along her route. Rex rolled his head over at me as if to say...'Really'? I left them to their business and checked my roses. Satisfied everything there looked great, I headed back. When I came around the corner, they were still locked up. I mentally gestured a pardon and hurried on my way past them. I looked back to see Rex standing on his license plate with his head thrown back. Drop was stretching her neck far above the tall grass, all eyes on me. I went off and left them be. About an hour later, I checked just in time to see them part...and true to her nature, Drop was gone in sixty seconds. No apple for her, but Rex took his.

When I saw him this time, he was not really hiding, he was just lounging on top of the pine mulch. Rex is a nickname. His formal name is Casa Nova. "Rex, old buddy, you just missed Max, which is probably a good thing, but what are you doing in this neck of the yard?" He just looked like a dinosaur at me. Then it hit me. Oh, yeah, Dot hangs out here. But, again, I cannot be sure Dot is a female and haven't had as much interaction with her/him.

So, you're all up to date. My herd has returned except for Drip and Baby. Baby is the only baby turtle I saw last year. Baby hung out in the north lawn under the plumbago. I haven't seen Baby since. I haven't given up on Drip. It's still early and the hostas are just barely breaking the ground. Maybe she will show up pretty soon.

I need to come back and edit this to include some photos. WARNING: some may find these images to contain offensive or graphic content. Pink fingernail polish will be in evidence.

Happy Easter Y'all.
so cool!