Reusing ceramic beads to eliminate cycling?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
The HOB filter on my 20 gal long quit tonight. Unfortunately it's too late to me to buy a new one until tomorrow.
I saved the ceramic beads out of the defunct filter to use in my NEW filter. I"m hoping this will eliminate need for cycling the new filter? (I dropped them into one end of the tank to keep them fully submerged).
I am not at all worried about my mud turtle, but I've gotten fond of the ghost shrimp in her tank. They're too fast for her to catch very easily and one of them is "berried", that is carrying eggs!!!!
I only just did a 50% water change already today, so I'm hoping that the water parameters won't get that bad too fast.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The HOB filter on my 20 gal long quit tonight. Unfortunately it's too late to me to buy a new one until tomorrow.
I saved the ceramic beads out of the defunct filter to use in my NEW filter. I"m hoping this will eliminate need for cycling the new filter? (I dropped them into one end of the tank to keep them fully submerged).
I am not at all worried about my mud turtle, but I've gotten fond of the ghost shrimp in her tank. They're too fast for her to catch very easily and one of them is "berried", that is carrying eggs!!!!
I only just did a 50% water change already today, so I'm hoping that the water parameters won't get that bad too fast.
Do you have any filter floss at all in your HOB? Or only beads? Either way, I think you'll be ok and not have to worry about a new cycle. But if you have any used floss, keep that wet also.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Do you have any filter floss at all in your HOB? Or only beads? Either way, I think you'll be ok and not have to worry about a new cycle. But if you have any used floss, keep that wet also.

No floss- just the ceramic beads.
Thanks for your input! I’m hoping this works! [emoji2][emoji106]

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Whenever I set up a new filter - whether on a pond or tank - I use a good portion of old, fully established filter media to start the new filter. In the case of tanks, it will almost totally eliminate any new "cycling" need as there is already a good colony of bacteria established. In a pond, a the entire pond and all the plumbing and plant roots etc, etc, also becomes home to bacteria "bio-film". So although I can start with a filter with good bacteria, it will take about 2 years for a new pond to fully stabilize.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Whenever I set up a new filter - whether on a pond or tank - I use a good portion of old, fully established filter media to start the new filter. In the case of tanks, it will almost totally eliminate any new "cycling" need as there is already a good colony of bacteria established. In a pond, a the entire pond and all the plumbing and plant roots etc, etc, also becomes home to bacteria "bio-film". So although I can start with a filter with good bacteria, it will take about 2 years for a new pond to fully stabilize.
Thanks, Mark! :)