Revamped Hatchling Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Thought I would share some pics of my updated and cleaned up hatchling enclosure. I like to get my hatchlings in these as soon as possible. Usually around week 2. I find that the Hawaiian Sun is the best thing for the little ones. Over here they grow quick. All my hatchlings are started in these. I dont play around with the in, out, in , out routine. I give them what they need and let them go and never had a problem. I trimmed the grass back, but it will grow back in no time.
The first 2 pics are of the giant hide in the enclosure (top off)
eating038.jpg

eating039.jpg

eating040.jpg

eating041.jpg

eating042.jpg

RAISING HATCHLINGS THE RIGHT WAY!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Fantastic, thank you for posting.

Unfortunately, some of us have to play the in-out routine... If I could raise my babies exclusively outside, I totally would. I got great growth and weight gain over the winter with all my babies, I can only imagine how much more it would have been had they been allowed outdoor access. Even in the spring/early summer here, it can be 80's during they day but drop to the 40's at night. I bring my adult torts in if it is going to be below 50, and the babies below 65. Sunshine is only during the day afterall, lol ;)

I do want to say that your hatchling enclosures are inspiring. I am basing my permanent baby enclosures on some pics you posted a few months back.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Kristina, thanks for the reply. I think what I was trying to say is if I can get them out in the sun, I dont monitor how long they are out there. I just try to provide some sun and shade spots along with a hide and let them at it. I guess I nees to work on my wording. ;). I'm glad you were inspired to some extent by my enclosure. I built 2 of them years ago and I was checking them out today and thinking about what I would do different and I really couldnt think of much at all.

Kristina said:
Fantastic, thank you for posting.

Unfortunately, some of us have to play the in-out routine... If I could raise my babies exclusively outside, I totally would. I got great growth and weight gain over the winter with all my babies, I can only imagine how much more it would have been had they been allowed outdoor access. Even in the spring/early summer here, it can be 80's during they day but drop to the 40's at night. I bring my adult torts in if it is going to be below 50, and the babies below 65. Sunshine is only during the day afterall, lol ;)

I do want to say that your hatchling enclosures are inspiring. I am basing my permanent baby enclosures on some pics you posted a few months back.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Even UV light in shaded areas is better than the UV provided by artificial means, and by far better than no UV at all, I am with you 100% there. I do the same, just stick the little buggers outside and let them do what they want.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
When the weather is warm I leave Andy outside while I'm at work. That's at least 4-6 hours of warmth and evening sun.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I LOVE your hatchling enclosure. You are so fortunate to not have days that are tooo cold or too hot. It looks like you have a special electrical box for the hide. Is that difficult to do, or do you need an electrician?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Thank you. Its not difficult, but I'm an electrician. :D. When I used to live up the mountain (2000ft elevation), it was needed at night. Its a CHE on a dimmer switch controlled by a photo cell.

DesertGrandma said:
I LOVE your hatchling enclosure. You are so fortunate to not have days that are tooo cold or too hot. It looks like you have a special electrical box for the hide. Is that difficult to do, or do you need an electrician?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
onarock said:
Thank you. Its not difficult, but I'm an electrician. :D. When I used to live up the mountain (2000ft elevation), it was needed at night. Its a CHE on a dimmer switch controlled by a photo cell.

DesertGrandma said:

I used to work in the electrical department at a Hardware store years ago for a year or so...I think I remember...positive, neutral and ground? Something like that? seemed simple enough haha!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
That is really great, lucky babies! I need a good electrician because I want to install an automatic misting system. I wouldn't need one if I lived where you lived!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Looks good, hopefully SoCal see's a better summer this year and I can keep mine out most of the day.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Kristina, I was just looking at your signature. By the time you get them all outside it must be time to bring them back in. Wow you got some tortoises and to live where you do... thats called dedication girl. ;)

Kristina said:
Even UV light in shaded areas is better than the UV provided by artificial means, and by far better than no UV at all, I am with you 100% there. I do the same, just stick the little buggers outside and let them do what they want.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, it isn't quite THAT time consuming, but pretty close ;)

I have been obsessed with tortoises literally my entire life. Even as a tiny kid I read and studied everything I possibly could (I read at a 3rd grade level in kindergarten, so literally my entire life lol.) Then for my 7th birthday I was given a copy of "Turtles and Tortoises of Northern America." I already had several pet turtles. I saw the Florida Gopher in the book and went crazy with longing. 5 years later I got my first tortoise - a displaced Florida Gopher that someone had dragged back to Michigan ;) I had him for 10 years before he was killed by a predator (which haunts me every single day of my life) and by then I was so completely hooked on chelonians it wasn't even funny.

I remember in the mid 90's the local petstore had a male and female pair of Egyptians. For EIGHTY DOLLARS EACH. They were so beautiful, I wanted them SOOOO bad. I asked nicely, then I begged, then I pleaded, then I cried, and finally through an all out freaking temper tantrum - no go. My grandmother (who raised me) said there was no way she was spending $160 on "turtles." I couldn't make her understand. Now you can't touch one for less than $400.

So, yeah, lol, I've got the dedication. When I move to a bigger property and house, there are really gonna be issues :D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
onarock said:

DesertGrandma said:

Yeah, I would need an electrician, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.