RF Baby is getting soft on the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
:( hi all, I'm in some serious trouble right now because I have notice that my baby redfoot tortoise is starting to have problems with a soft shell. I will list all my details about him & the tank setup. I will do whatever is possible to help him survive.money is not an issue at this point and I will purchase anything that is necessary.

-I got the tortoise almost a year ago from a pet store at port credit in Toronto Mississauga he costed me a huge sump of money $480 in total for him alone.

-the tank setup
/ the tank is an all glass aquarium 40gal, the substrate I use is plantation soil purchased from BigAls whitby Ontario I have a lot of dirt in the tank because I also have live plants in their with him the plants are all safe for him and he doesn't not eat them I put them in their for a humidity increase + the awesome effect of real nature it's beautiful. I have a basking spot on the one end with many fake vines hanging down from the glass the bulb is 100w infrared I than have a uv strip lamp (but I think it's honestly the problem) I had it when I was about 11 years old I am 19 and I think the effect on the light have worn out.i also have 2 flat rocks in the basking area for him+ calcium cuddle bone beside it off to the right. I then have a 50w lamp that shines down in the centre of the tank. He also has a very good den that he can crawl into anytime and go to sleep it has moss in it for bedding with some plantation soil. I mist the tank 2 time a day once in morning and once when I get off work. The lid on the tank is a screen mesh I've always thought about buying some plexi glass for the top to keep extra humidity in there.

I feed him daily which includes plenty of goodies. I offer him romaine lettuce , mushrooms, grapes, tomatoes, peaches, squash, celery leaves, oranges (rarely), apples, blueberries and sometimes a normal tortoise food bought from BigAls specifically for the redfoot.i forget the calcium d3 powder sometimes too.(may add to the problem)

That's pretty much all of the information I can put in I can't think of anymore, I'm looking for immediate ASAP answers for what the problem may be coming from. I greatly thank anyone who can throw me an answer or suggestion I really do appreciate it, it means a lot too me he's like a little brother I never had.

Want my plans are tomorrow
-purchase a new strip lamp + UVB bulb
-purchase a heat pad for his den (winters on its way)
-purchase heat cables for bottom of the tank

For anyone who can reply and give solid feedback, I thank you a million for reading this post and helping a stranger out .

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Do you know how old he is? A 40 gallon tank is pretty small, in my opinion, and you say it's planted. Does he have room to walk? A picture of your setup would help. Most UV lightbulbs need to be replaced every 6 months to a year. Without UV, I don't think all the variety of food in the world would help your tortoise utilize enough calcium. I don't think you mentioned outside time. Did he get a lot of outside time when it was warmer? Soft shells are usually calcium deficiency from all that I've read here. I'd recommend taking him to a vet unless other members can offer you advice. Just don't try and over compensate for lack of calcium by adding lots of vitamins. Too much can be just as destructive as not enough. Hope this helps and good luck to you and yours!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know of any infrared UVB. Also, like already said, your old bulb is no good, only for light. You need to get him in some good old sunshine if possible. If not, I would get a mercury vapor bulb, as he as not been getting proper UVB.

BTW, Mercury vapor bulbs need to be replaced every 12 months and flourescent ones every 6 months. They may still give off light, but little to none UVB.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
http://postimg.org/image/eqtqekpjn/ hopefully this works & I heard some people keep them in even smaller tanks then 40gal he's only a small guy and I don't want to put him in a bigger space until he grows a little more (plans for a tortoise table soon). I did have him outdoors about 4 times a week for about 2.5hrs a day but its far to cold for that now. I will be buying that new UVB setup tomorrow forsure tho! I also see some people using rubber maids for a tortoise habbitat which is just down right awful I refused to use that setup so I was sure a 40 gal should work till January

Thank you very much for the suggestion! On that mercury bulb I will forsure look into that I need the best products out there to get him out of this state thanks for replying !means soo much

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
rubber maids for a tortoise habbitat which is just down right awful

I use both glass and this "awful" one you refer to....what may I ask is the reason that this rubbermaid beast is so awful, in your opinion that is?

What does your diet consist of? How long are your outdoor trips for sun? When did you get this tort? How long has it been since the tort was outdoors?

The size of your enclosure is fine for awhile, in my opinion....

Also, if you are using uva/uvb bulv then you will not wan it setting atop a traditional screen top that usually comes with the tank---this screen filters out a large part of the beneficial rays....the screen does allow the heat...what are the temps you are running in the basking spot and what is the coolest in the enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.