Status
Not open for further replies.

apromann4

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
philippines
IMG_20130529_082014_zps6ac89947.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I have two reds foots, the bigger one is almost a yr. With me, they both eat a lot, twice a day, a few days ago i change substrate, mixrd of cocopeat, orchid bark, n spagnum moss, before than both of them are eating fine,before my substrat is moss n paper only, but since the time i change it, the bigger one is eating less n less each day, but the small one has the same appetite as before, pls advice me what would be the problem with the bigger one? And the bigger one burrows a lot since then, i think she healthy, still active, the only prob is losing appetite

abclements

5 Year Member
Well a healthy tort can go weeks without eating... so I wouldn't be too worried about her at this point. Some smaller torts seem to have more trouble adopting a new environment. This causes loss of appetite and hiding. Which sounds like yours is displaying both of those. Give her a couple more days and if things don't start looking up, then it might be time to take some action. Also, look for signs of bullying from your smaller tort. Sometimes the little guys can bully the big guys. But I wouldn't worry too much right now! Just keep observing and hopefully the big one will get back to normal soon! :)

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Thanks, actually theres signs of bullying, the bigger one " torti" sometimes bite " lemon" the smaller one, but there no prob, actually torti is the one eating less, lemon eats a lot, i mean a lot, morethan torti, even torti is n inch bigger, some time i worry if lemon eating to much, but i have read that what they consume in 15 mins is good enough, am following that, after 15 mins , i remove the left overs, thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If there is any bullying going on that needs to be resolved straight away---two enclosures may be what you need to do....Since you made changes to your enclosure you will want to check your temps and humidity to make sure the enclosure changes did not affect your temps and humidity...also, when you make an entire enclosure remodel you can stress your tort---almost like they are in a new enclosure and so you will have a tort that may be adjusting--but do check your temps and humidity...

hanzel

5 Year Member
i think your new environment is quite good for forest tort,maybe is adapted to

i think your new environment is quite good for forest tort,maybe is adapting a new environment.maybe u can try give them drink en access to sunlight daily.hope it helps...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It could simply be a case of this tort doing what torts do best... taking a long time to adjust to new surroundings. Some of them take months to work out that everything really is OK!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is not enough info here to really help.

Overall, however, I would give your habitat a 'C' with an 'A' for effort. It looks small (how big is it really?) and too bright- red-footes love to hide. Feeding twice a day? That can be a lot of calories for a species with such a slow metabolism.

You may want to review other care sheets and compare them to what you do. I have some ideas and links to other sites in the Library, linked below.

Status
Not open for further replies.