RF keeps trying to escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, NY
I have two Adult Red Foot Tortoises (Male & Female) named Dora & Houdini. Dora's 11' & Houdini is 8.5' in SCL. They got a big outdoor enclosure 12x10 ft, heavily planted with lots of hide. They eat mostly fruits, a portion of greens and very rarely boiled chicken meat. Humidity is high most of the time. They also get plenty of sun heat from late spring up until early fall then they are moved inside with supplemental heating and misting. They've been with me for more than 2 years and I never had any issues with them since. Lately, Houdini (Male RF) has been constantly trying to escape. He's very stressed in wanting to climb from the 2 ft wall, and spends the entire day trying to escape. I am equally stressed in tying calm him down with soaks or treats but to no good. Any idea on why he's suddenly anxious to escape and what's the remedy to this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is there any signs of bullying from the female? Is he trying to escape from her. Also, fruit should not be the biggest part of their diet. Try adding more greens, Mazuri, cactus and fruit as a treat.

Renj

5 Year Member
Long Island, NY
wellington said:
Is there any signs of bullying from the female? Is he trying to escape from her. Also, fruit should not be the biggest part of their diet. Try adding more greens, Mazuri, cactus and fruit as a treat.

I have not seen any signs of bullying from the female. If anything, I think he's the bully.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Renj said:
wellington said:

I have not seen any signs of bullying from the female. If anything, I think he's the bully.

He's the bully, but he's trying to escape? Maybe he is looking for more women to add to his harem. You could also try adding more visual barriers, see if not being able to see each other as much helps at all.

-Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.