Rhp for beardies? ?

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Hey everyone! Just wanted to get some input. I am in love with my radiant heat panel for ChiChi's temperature control. It is perfect, efficient and slim. What I'm wondering is if I can use one for my bearded dragon. Not as his basking spot. That will be a flood light, he also will have his linear uvb. His enclosure is a custom built 4ftx2ftx2ft with wire top, but I can easily switch that out and put ventilation in the sides. (First ever diy project) but I REALLY hate all the bulbs. It's kind of a pain to keep it where I want it without multiple bulbs... I thought maybe I could use a smaller rhp, maybe the 2ft one and he can still have his gradient, but it'll look nicer and be safer...

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20220113_203629.jpg
    20220113_203629.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211227_150342.jpg
    20211227_150342.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220112_183119.jpg
    20220112_183119.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone! Just wanted to get some input. I am in love with my radiant heat panel for ChiChi's temperature control. It is perfect, efficient and slim. What I'm wondering is if I can use one for my bearded dragon. Not as his basking spot. That will be a flood light, he also will have his linear uvb. His enclosure is a custom built 4ftx2ftx2ft with wire top, but I can easily switch that out and put ventilation in the sides. (First ever diy project) but I REALLY hate all the bulbs. It's kind of a pain to keep it where I want it without multiple bulbs... I thought maybe I could use a smaller rhp, maybe the 2ft one and he can still have his gradient, but it'll look nicer and be safer...

What do you guys think?
Hmmm.... An RHP or CHE would be used for ambient temperature maintenance. I don't need ambient temp maintenance in my beardie enclosures. Normal American room temp over night is fine for them, and the basking light heats everything up during the day.

I don't see a reason why you couldn't use the RHP, but I don't see it as necessary either. For it to be effective, you would need to be using it in somewhat of a closed chamber.

BTW, a little humidity is not the killer of dragons that it has been made out to be. Lots and lots of people house adults and babies outdoors in FL and the rest of the southeast US, and their dragons are healthy and fit.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hmmm.... An RHP or CHE would be used for ambient temperature maintenance. I don't need ambient temp maintenance in my beardie enclosures. Normal American room temp over night is fine for them, and the basking light heats everything up during the day.

I don't see a reason why you couldn't use the RHP, but I don't see it as necessary either. For it to be effective, you would need to be using it in somewhat of a closed chamber.

BTW, a little humidity is not the killer of dragons that it has been made out to be. Lots and lots of people house adults and babies outdoors in FL and the rest of the southeast US, and their dragons are healthy and fit.
My house can get really cold, so I need more than just the basking to keep that up at the moment... I'm thinking of sealing the top and putting vents in the sides instead. I have a dhp for night time that is set to 70 just in case. It comes on sometimes, then I up the temp for it during the day to keep it in range. I was told 95- 105 for a juvenile basking, high 80's/ low 90 for hot side and mid 80's/80° for cooler side day time, then 75 to no lower than 65 at night. 30-40 humidity. Right now with the cold I have been struggling with that part a bit too which is another reason I was thinking of switching the vents...

In the pics, I have the 2 flood lights, which actually gives him 2 basking spots ( kind of unintentionally, that just how it worked out) to also keep it warm and the dph in the middle, then of course the 2ft uvb. It's just been more of a struggle than I think it should to keep things in range. We have only been in this house since September as well so I'm still figuring that out too which plays a part ?

Not having to worry about too high humidity really helps. Everywhere I've read said no higher than 50, But even that has been a little difficult... I'm thinking it all has to do with the screen top just like it would with a tortoise enclosure. It was just our first attempt at making an enclosure, and it went really well, but I didn't know which way to take that part. Trial and error lol