Rid of urate?

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
So for the last week, there is no urate coming out from my little sulcata. However, just the day before no more urate is produced, my sulcata produced a gritty urate with the size of half of a fingernail, which worries me that my sulcata not producing anymore urate for the past week is just more urate accumulating inside. Or am I just being paranoid?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Sometimes they don’t pass any urates. My Russian sometimes has gritty urates one day and for the next week nothing at all.
How old is your sully and how often do you soak and for how long?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Urates should be creamy or liquid, not hard or gritty. What’s the humidity in the enclosure?
Well done for soaking him daily.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Your doing the right thing by soaking him.

Can we see pics of your enclosure, what are your temperatures and humidity?
27c on the cool side. 35c on the warm side. 38c baking spot. Idk the humidity since the hygrometer is broken. But the enclosure is foggy and the substrate is constantly wet.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
27c on the cool side. 35c on the warm side. 38c baking spot. Idk the humidity since the hygrometer is broken. But the enclosure is foggy and the substrate is constantly wet.

All sounds good. Just keep soaking and make sure your humidity is up around 80% maybe try to feed some foods with a high water content to help with hydration, when it happens to mine I feed Romaine, and even iceberg lettuce sometimes, you can feed the spineless opituna cactus pads, or a little Aloe.

I find it eventually passes though if you keep the soaks up. Mine passed gritty urates for 2 weeks before it eventually passed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Your substrate shouldn't actually be wet, can you post pics?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
While they need humidity I don't think they should be in 'wet' conditions - it depends what you mean by wet I suppose.
Have you posted pics of all of your enclosure yet? That may help.
Maybe @Yvonne G or @Tom can help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So for the last week, there is no urate coming out from my little sulcata. However, just the day before no more urate is produced, my sulcata produced a gritty urate with the size of half of a fingernail, which worries me that my sulcata not producing anymore urate for the past week is just more urate accumulating inside. Or am I just being paranoid?
Is your tortoise eating cuttlebone?