Right kind of cactus?

TKL

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Saw these in my local Asian grocery store. There was no label unfortunately, so just wanted to know if these are the same type of cactus pads that other people feed to their torts. Secondly, if they are suitable, how would I go about preparing them for my 4" leopard to eat?
WP_20141104_001[1].jpg WP_20141104_002[1].jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup - those are opuntia and edible. Watch out for those stickers (glochids)!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Yummy. I dice them up into very small pieces. I also enjoy hand feeding a thin long strip of it.

TKL

10 Year Member!
Toronto, Canada
OK thanks guys, good to know. Next time I'm out that way I'll be sure to pick some up.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I have found scraping them with a spoon is the easiest, quickest way to get rid of the prickles. Sometimes I will use my lighter and burn the little places first then scrape but u really don't have to

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I agree, I take a kitchen knife and just scrape it back and forth over the pad until it pretty much feels smooth to my fingers. This process pretty much takes care of all large spines and most all of the small ones. I then give it a good rinse off in the sink to wash spines away, then a good pat down/rub with paper towel. Then, I'll take a slice and mince it up and our sully loves it.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You may need to soften it up for the little guy (microwave). The larger pads are tougher which is why I pull the younger smaller pads off my cactus to feed. FYI, cactus is the easiest to grow just drop one of those pads on the ground and it will grow. If you really wanted too you could bury half of it in the ground.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use heavy rubber glove and rub the glochids off under running water. Then, just put the pad, or a piece of it, in the enclosure and let your tortoise go to work on it. There is a good chance your tortoise has never seen cactus before an so won't recognize it as food. I'd skip a feeding day, then put the cactus pad in the normal food place and give hime a couple of days to nibble on it. Don't give up after one try. It might take weeks, but in the end this is a very good food for leopards.

The pads will store best if you leave them open to the air with good ventilation at room temp. Keeping them in the fridge or wrapped up will make them rot fairly quickly.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I give my big guys the pads whole and they tear them piece by piece but the baby's, I slice it up, For my leopard that's very small, I make the sliced thin enough that I can almost see through them, for my sully baby's, their six months old and about Palm size, I slice theirs about as thick as 5 sheets of paper, they have to pull at it but it's still thin enough they stay at it till its gone. I figure it helps w beak growth at that thickness.

TKL

10 Year Member!
Toronto, Canada
I ended up taking a potato peeler to the pads that I bought, then I diced it up into manageable pieces. My little one ate it readily.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I had one growing in my russian's enclosure for a few months, then I finally fed him some store bought ones and once he realized it was good, he gobbled up the growing one before it even had a chance to give off new growth LOL.

My mother in law is Hispanic and is amazing and fast at removing the spines with a very sharp knife. When I watch her I'm always surprised she never cuts her fingers off, or never gets poked!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Please becareful keep that plastic away from the torts the smallest part of plastic is bad . I don't remove the spines they are high in fiber . Didn't you mothers tell you the skin of the Apple is the best part for the kids I've had my leopards eat 3 inch spines like they where candy canes . But have a great tort day !