Risks vs. Benifits of Hibernation

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I've been doing a lot of research into hibernation but am still conflicted on whether or not to do it. Here's my info:
Yearling Iberian Greek tort currently housed indoors, but has an outdoor enclosure
Outdoor temps here in Nor Cal have been mostly highs of 80 and lows of upper 40's
If I were to hibernate him it would be on a shelf in my unheated garage with constant monitoring
He is already becoming inactive
I am scared to death to hibernate him but at the same time feel like that's what his body is telling him to do and is probably best
I also worry about the shortened lifespan without hibernation theory since I am doing everything I can to make sure he outlives me
I am at a complete loss on this and have just reached the end of my knowledge nd experience, and appreciate the help.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
For a tortoise to hibernate safely temperatures must ideally be steady around 40F and not rising above 50F... and never below freezing.

I have over 40 years experience of hibernating a Greek here in the UK.

That is hard to achieve if the outside temperature is reaching (an enviable to us in the UK) 80F by day ... which is far too warm for hibernation.

I don't advocate hibernating very small tortoises (less than 500 grammes/17 ounces),as they just don't have the necessary body mass in my opinion, or those owned for less than a year, as you really need to know and understand the animal's health before doing this.

Hibernating isn't essential. Bright lights and warm temperatures can kid the tortoise into remaining active through the winter. There is no eveidence that I am aware of to suggest that this shortens lifespan.

I think hibernation is a more natural outcome for those spending their entire time outdoors as they're more affected by the changing seasons.

When and if you decide to hibernate, I recommend using a dedicated fridge where the temperature can be carefully controlled to keep your tortoise healthy.

I used to double box Joe (small box, inside a massive box packed with shredded paper as insulation) and place him in our garage. But as our winters have become warmer in recent years, it became increasingly difficult to maintain steady temperatures and I switched to a fridge for his health and safety.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can use your outdoor enclosure for nice days all year round, and use the indoor enclosure for nights and colder winter days.

I prefer to hibernate species that would hibernate in the wild, but there is no evidence that not hibernating them does any harm.