River Cane/North American Bamboo

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
I had been thinking about getting some River Cane (Arundinaria Gigantea) for a potential fast- growing evergreen food for our sulcata, and for its erosion control (also, it looks quite nice). However, I have found conflicting information about the toxicity of bamboo. Some sources say it is edible, others say that the cyanide levels are dangerous, yet others say that River cane itself can be eaten raw. I checked the Tortoise Table, and it seems to be safe, but I wanted to get an extra opinion. So what do you all think?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I had been thinking about getting some River Cane (Arundinaria Gigantea) for a potential fast- growing evergreen food for our sulcata, and for its erosion control (also, it looks quite nice). However, I have found conflicting information about the toxicity of bamboo. Some sources say it is edible, others say that the cyanide levels are dangerous, yet others say that River cane itself can be eaten raw. I checked the Tortoise Table, and it seems to be safe, but I wanted to get an extra opinion. So what do you all think?
I would like to see some answers here too.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I will not give access to bamboo to my tortoises. We have seen some impaction problems with Galapagos eating bamboo. The extremely long undigestible fibers create the problem. They don't chop it up when eating but suck long leaves in. Undigested fiber strands that long are a real problem.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Got busy before I finished my post so:

However, Arundinaria Gigantea is used as a feed for cattle in many northern states as it is very cold hardy and grows fast. 15% protein makes it a good possible food for tortoises. So if careful to chop up, it could be a part of a varied diet. However, it is extremely high in phosphorus as compared to calcium, so you would need to be sure you are making up for calcium content elsewhere in the diet if used.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Got busy before I finished my post so:

However, Arundinaria Gigantea is used as a feed for cattle in many northern states as it is very cold hardy and grows fast. 15% protein makes it a good possible food for tortoises. So if careful to chop up, it could be a part of a varied diet. However, it is extremely high in phosphorus as compared to calcium, so you would need to be sure you are making up for calcium content elsewhere in the diet if used.
thank you. (I got busy as well)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

At the Fresno Chaffee Zoo the galops got and ate bamboo leaves that blew into the enclosure from outside. Their poops would have full leaves in it. The proportion of this in their overall consumption was very low. For smaller species bamboo leaf litter works great as a substrate topper.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas

At the Fresno Chaffee Zoo the galops got and ate bamboo leaves that blew into the enclosure from outside. Their poops would have full leaves in it. The proportion of this in their overall consumption was very low. For smaller species bamboo leaf litter works great as a substrate topper.
I see. So it is not very digestible, but not toxic either (it does appear that people can eat it, however).
I did notice that this is a different species, but I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I guess if one did have access to a good source, it would be easy enough to trim & chop up as feed. The tops are often all grassy and not as stalky.

61EDD02B-DD0F-4DD1-9248-109796C1D25C.jpeg