Roach colony?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Anybody got a roach colony their looking to get rid of? Trying to avoid breeding crickets again.
You can buy them online pretty easy. I'm not looking to sell any of mine right now. I'm raising two black throats, two beardies, a blue tongue and a couple dozen tarantulas. I cannot imagine feeding all that with crickets. You will be so glad you went with roaches.

What are you feeding? Blatta lateralis is the perfect cricket replacement. Fast breeders and more tolerant of cooler temps. Simlar size to crickets and they remain active and running around to attract your reptiles attention.

Dubia also breed fast but need warmer temps. They are great for larger reptiles like adult beardies or large chameleons that need a larger insect meal.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Roach colonies are wonderful! I love mine. I keep dubias and 3 varieties of hissers. So, I view them as both pets and feeders.

Are there are any reptile stores in your area? You can buy assorted sizes to jump start your colony that way. If you chat with the shop owner, they may even be willing to start you off with a small colony.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
You can buy them online pretty easy. I'm not looking to sell any of mine right now. I'm raising two black throats, two beardies, a blue tongue and a couple dozen tarantulas. I cannot imagine feeding all that with crickets. You will be so glad you went with roaches.

What are you feeding? Blatta lateralis is the perfect cricket replacement. Fast breeders and more tolerant of cooler temps. Simlar size to crickets and they remain active and running around to attract your reptiles attention.

Dubia also breed fast but need warmer temps. They are great for larger reptiles like adult beardies or large chameleons that need a larger insect meal.
I guess i could order another starter colony.for new blood. I've had my current colony nearly five years.

I feed my bearded dragons, geckos, and box turtles my dubia.I keep them in my attic because its warm and they breed well, but with the combination of me feeding them and a pesky squirrel getting in once. I'm down to a few males, females and nymphs.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Roach colonies are wonderful! I love mine. I keep dubias and 3 varieties of hissers. So, I view them as both pets and feeders.

Are there are any reptile stores in your area? You can buy assorted sizes to jump start your colony that way. If you chat with the shop owner, they may even be willing to start you off with a small colony.
No, we only have the chain stores unfortunately.

Prtco and pet smart. Reptile keeping isn't very popular.

I had a local rat breeder, but he moved. Now I'm back to ordering offline.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
OK, I waited till you got answers......

The DD Roach motel

.just like Hotel California....

"Relax, " said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave"

It's better than the RAID analogy.....Roaches check in but don't ch......

LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK, I waited till you got answers......

The DD Roach motel

.just like Hotel California....

"Relax, " said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave"

It's better than the RAID analogy.....Roaches check in but don't ch......

LOL
Well I dig the song, but when those roaches check in to my bearded dragons, they DEFINITELY check out again a day or two later. Man, it will clear the room...

And I actually use real "Roach Motels" to pick up any strays in the reptile room.