Roadhog says hello from Denver Colorado!

Awolf

Location (City and/or State)
Aurora
Hi everyone!

So, I found this little guy wandering the streets of my neighborhood. Nearly ran him over. He was sluggish and dirty and dry so I decided to take him in. (Not sure if this was the best decision but I was worried about someone else hitting him and his general appearance). Just from my Google search (which could be totally off base) I'm thinking he is a Russian Tortoise. Possibly around 10 years old? He has a kind of crooked tucked tail which I think means he is male. I'm booking a vet appointment to have him checked out and confirm the details.

I currently have him in a 40 gallon tank as his temporary enclosure while I build/aquire him a proper tortoise table. Also, don't mind the aspen bark. I have coco coir arriving today to replace it along with a few other goodies to hopefully make his temporary enclosure more comfortable.

After giving him a nice warm soak and a scrubbing with a soft bristle brush he seems to have perked right up! He has been zooming all over my backyard, munching on weeds and grass, and just exploring. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep him but I've absolutely fallen in love with the little guy so now I'm just trying to make sure that I can provide him a proper home.

As a brand new tortoise caretaker I'm so excited to find a forum like this! Information on the internet seems so contradictory and contentious so a place like this has been so helpful in my learning experience. Any advice or tips are very much appreciated!

PXL_20220422_164638761.jpgPXL_20220422_215945543.jpgPXL_20220422_174833378.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

He's obviously used to living outside, and trying to keep him in an indoor enclosure will be pretty awful for him. Yes, it IS a Russian tortoise, and they hibernate (actually called brumate) during the winter. So when the weather is warm enough, and has sunny days, he needs to live outside.

Awolf

Aurora
Hi and welcome!

He's obviously used to living outside, and trying to keep him in an indoor enclosure will be pretty awful for him. Yes, it IS a Russian tortoise, and they hibernate (actually called brumate) during the winter. So when the weather is warm enough, and has sunny days, he needs to live outside.
Thank you! That is good to know. I'm taking him out a few times a day to have full reign over the backyard when I can supervise. My plan is to build him a nice big enclosure for outside and then bring him inside to a tortoise box when it is too cold or if the weather is bad. I was conflicted about keeping him but was worried about him wandering around our busy neighborhood.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and thanks for rescuing him. He might have made it thru this winter or just recently escaped. But odds would be against him living in the wild
Read the caresheets for caring for Russians. I don't know much about Russians but I have noticed from other members. The indoor tort table should be at least 4' x 8'. They are also escape artists. So when you have him outside keep a eye on him. They are great climbers, so something like a 1 ft, barrier made from block or fencing etc. Will probably not hold him in. Then you have to think about the digging also. I am sure he escaped from someone else.

Awolf

Aurora
Welcome and thanks for rescuing him. He might have made it thru this winter or just recently escaped. But odds would be against him living in the wild
Read the caresheets for caring for Russians. I don't know much about Russians but I have noticed from other members. The indoor tort table should be at least 4' x 8'. They are also escape artists. So when you have him outside keep a eye on him. They are great climbers, so something like a 1 ft, barrier made from block or fencing etc. Will probably not hold him in. Then you have to think about the digging also. I am sure he escaped from someone else.
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely keep that in mind when I build his outdoor enclosure. After I gave him a little soak and he perked up I was really surprised with just how quick he was and how he just no fear explored all over the backyard climbing over everything lol he is a joy to watch.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Welcome RH....he looks like a very capable little guy! He's secure in himself!

There's a ton of talent here if you haven't guessed by now and I've found that when a rep for this or that is corroborated on this forum, it's not a rep, it's a trait! If Russians have a rep for escaping, they have it for a reason!

I think it's kind of funny that your first experience will be with a Houdini of turtles, apparently....keep your sense of humor....LOL

Some Box turtle owners run a lip, like a 1x6 at the top of their 1' walls for homes outside to keep turtles that are capable of climbing chain link fences, inside their homes! If it overhangs the inside by 3 or more inches, it seems to hold the jailbreakers!

jeff