Rock stuck in mouth

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Maricopa, AZ
My Sulcata, Leo, just emerged from his hiding place in my yard. I went to see him and saw that he has a large rock/hard clump of dirt stuck in his mouth. I tried to pull it out, but the front part just crumbled in my fingers and now he’s pulled his head in and locked up with his arms. I have him soaking; I’m hoping it’s a clump of hard dirt instead of a rock, and that it will soften enough for him to let it go. And I’ve ordered Miner-All. How do I get this out, if it is a rock? I don’t want to hurt him and he’s already very freaked out due to my efforts to get it out. @Tom @Yvonne G - I could use some advice! Leo is approximately 12”, if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you hold him carefully head down at a slight angle he will probably stick his head out again so you can see what's going on and maybe try to gently remove more of it. It may be better if you have someone to help. If you are worried about hurting his mouth maybe try to see a vet. I hope one of the members you've tagged comes along soon.
@zovick may also be able to help

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
The soaking seems to have worked, the rock/clump of dirt seems to have dissolved. I don’t see a rock in the water but there is some dirt, so I hope that he didn’t swallow it. Now, I am on poop watch.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
If you hold him head down at a slight angle he will probably stick his head out again so you can see what's going on and maybe try to gently remove more of it. If you are worried about hurting his mouth maybe try to see a vet. I hope one of the members you've tagged comes along soon.
@zovick may also be able to help
Thank you. He was not sticking his head out for me no matter how I held him… but he did release his bladder, so I’ve definitely traumatized him. He finally stuck his head out while in his soak, and I could determine that his mouth is now closed - nothing lodged in there. I really hope he didn’t swallow it; it was pretty large and I think it would cause an obstruction. Poor guy.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
Well, he’s been on the tortoise treadmill for about 45 minutes and it was productive. Very productive. So I think he’s okay, but I’ll keep an eye on him. Sorry for the mini-meltdown, I just love the little guy. I don’t think the feeling is mutual, though. ;-)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hopefully it wasn't a rock. If it was and he swallowed it, it likely will pass.
If this or anything similar happens again, try to stick a large stick or large handled wooden spoon in his mouth cross way. This helps keep his mouth open and it helps keep his head from being pulled completely in. Be sure it's a large enough diameter so he can't bite down and break it. Then you can more easily investigate.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
Hopefully it wasn't a rock. If it was and he swallowed it, it likely will pass.
If this or anything similar happens again, try to stick a large stick or large handled wooden spoon in his mouth cross way. This helps keep his mouth open and it helps keep his head from being pulled completely in. Be sure it's a large enough diameter so he can't bite down and break it. Then you can more easily investigate.
Thank you. I’ll do that, if it ever happens again… hopefully, it won’t. He gave me quite a scare! Thanks again for the help.