Rodent proof mesh that I can bury underground for years to come?

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
I plan on building a big predator proof mesh cage for my leopard tort. It will have an insulated wooden house inside the cage that my tort will live in, so my tort will be able to come out of its house and eat grass whenever it wants and be protected from predators by the surrounding mesh cage on all sides.

We sort of have a rat/mice problem. We also get mink/ferret and racoons here and there. So I want the bottom/floor of the mesh cage to be buried like 4-6" underground so that my tort is actually walk around on grass instead of on the mesh wire. I dont want to use metal/steel mesh because I'm scared it will eventually rust/corrode from rain going underground to it and then the mesh's chemicals will seep into the ground and then will poison the grass above, that my tort will be eating.

Would something like this be rodent proof and wouldn't corrode/get damaged by being underground for years to come? >>> https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ev...inch-x-1-2-inch-mesh-size-/1000105621#reviews

Links to solutions would be helpful so I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I wouldn't trust plastic, any animal that wanted to get through it could.

What kind of soil is there? If it's not constantly wet or highly acidic, galvanized mesh should last for at least a few years. I think using galvanized metal around plans that will be eaten is generally regarded as safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, rodents will chew right through plastic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I plan on building a big predator proof mesh cage for my leopard tort. It will have an insulated wooden house inside the cage that my tort will live in, so my tort will be able to come out of its house and eat grass whenever it wants and be protected from predators by the surrounding mesh cage on all sides.

We sort of have a rat/mice problem. We also get mink/ferret and racoons here and there. So I want the bottom/floor of the mesh cage to be buried like 4-6" underground so that my tort is actually walk around on grass instead of on the mesh wire. I dont want to use metal/steel mesh because I'm scared it will eventually rust/corrode from rain going underground to it and then the mesh's chemicals will seep into the ground and then will poison the grass above, that my tort will be eating.

Would something like this be rodent proof and wouldn't corrode/get damaged by being underground for years to come? >>> https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ev...inch-x-1-2-inch-mesh-size-/1000105621#reviews

Links to solutions would be helpful so I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks
I don't know anyone who keeps tortoises that doesn't have predators about. My ranch is down a dirt road out in the country. We have every kind of predator you can think of. You don't need to bury wire. Just make escape proof walls and be sure your tortoise is locked in its heated night box at night, every night.

If we are talking about a baby, then use a big plastic kiddie pool, or some such tub with some orchid bark in it, and rest wire over the top when he's out there. Here is one I did with a hinged lid that rested on the grass:
IMG_2515.JPG

And a version done with blocks:
7907461_orig.jpg

WNash

Litchfield Park, AZ

I have lots of gophers where I live so I use mesh fencing on the bottom of my enclosures so they cannot enter through the bottom. Would not want them to eat eggs or babies.

leoturt

Western Canada
We used something like this, but I can't find the exact product. When I bought it, it came in 4x8 sheets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-12-in-x-24-in-Cold-Rolled-Steel-Expanded/3051815

This is what it looks like installed...
View attachment 341538

It's galvanized steel. I don't think plastic would hold up, even though it would be laying flat under the grass.

We used something like this, but I can't find the exact product. When I bought it, it came in 4x8 sheets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-12-in-x-24-in-Cold-Rolled-Steel-Expanded/3051815

This is what it looks like installed...
View attachment 341538

It's galvanized steel. I don't think plastic would hold up, even though it would be laying flat under the grass.
cant rodents still dig under and get inside? or is the bottom covered with underground mesh too?

leoturt

Western Canada
I wouldn't trust plastic, any animal that wanted to get through it could.

What kind of soil is there? If it's not constantly wet or highly acidic, galvanized mesh should last for at least a few years. I think using galvanized metal around plans that will be eaten is generally regarded as safe.
just regular soil in our backyard. galvanized seems to be the best from what im hearing

leoturt

Western Canada
I have lots of gophers where I live so I use mesh fencing on the bottom of my enclosures so they cannot enter through the bottom. Would not want them to eat eggs or babies

I have lots of gophers where I live so I use mesh fencing on the bottom of my enclosures so they cannot enter through the bottom. Would not want them to eat eggs or babies.
is the bottom mesh above ground on top of the grass, or is it underground?

leoturt

Western Canada
There are all kinds of hardware mesh wire out there. A lot depends on the width/length & hole size you want.

has to be small holes, like 1/2 inch, strong enough that rodents cant chew through but be able to last underground for several years. Though now im wondering if i should just have the mesh ontop of the grass instead of underground, but then my tortoises feet would always be standing ontop of the mesh which would kind of suck for it

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
cant rodents still dig under and get inside? or is the bottom covered with underground mesh too?
I was showing it to you to see the product. In my use, yes, rodents can dig under.

I was offering this mesh as an idea for you to lay horizontal under the grass. :)

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I would NOT suggest Plastic, as any rodent, Mouse, Rat, Gopher would chew right through it. When I finished my patio, I went to a Hardware Cloth supplier in San Francisco and bought a 4" x 100' roll of 1 x 1 SS Mesh to Screen in my patio for my Parrot's, was NOT cheap, But it is a one and done....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There's a product made to keep rodents from chewing through the linings in very expensive koi ponds called CEMENT CLOTH
It's cement infused fabric that becomes hard once it gets wet. So hard that rats moles, chipmunks, etc can't chew through it.
But I also agree that you probably don't need it.
When I set up my very first tortoise enclosure after purchasing my current house, I buried 24" cement aquare pads throughout the entire area to keep my RF group from digging out. Etc.
It was a huge waste of time and money. But it sure is common to overtime things.