Rodents and birds in the playpen

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Over the last several day I have noticed a lot of unauthorized activity in the playpen, namely, a couple of cheeky little chipmunks that regularly run into his burrow, root around and leave; a tiny wren that has flown in there a few times (I bought a wren house and she seems happy with it so I am no longer concerned about her) and today; an as of yet unidentified rodent that has a shallow nest along the edging. At first I thought it was a mole, bit while hand clipping the grass along the edging I accidentally uncovered several hairless and helpless little ones in a shallow indent covered with grasses and moss. Obviously I covered them back up and left them alone and will be cautious in that area in the coming weeks, but obviously not a mole with little ones so close to the surface, anyway, here is the issue; I love critters and I can not and will not kill them, so what, if any, precautions should I take to make sure that Odin and the other beasties can coexist? We already have bunnies in the yard, and Odin met a baby one up close and personal last year (which exploded my cute-O-meter!) and caused no harm to either critter.
Odin does not care about any of this. When he sees something else alive he rarely even acknowledges it no matter how close it is to him, he just continues eating. Today one of the chipmunks ran right up behind him, stopped about 5 inches short and stared at him for a solid minute or two. I don't even think Odin looked at him, just ate.
Odin is only around 5 pounds and two years old, so he is only in the playpen during the day and while supervised for now.

His answer to everything....
173.JPG

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Find a friend with a snake. Give him rodent babies.
Please! Those "helpless little ones" have been left in the TLC of a human who cannot and will not harm them. So let us see what they are before we offer them to the Serpent Goddess.