Romaine Lettuce (Cos Organic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
i just received the courier delivering the romaine lettuce seeds that i ordered online........... now when i read the growing instruction given with the seeds ,...... they say the temps should be 5 degree celsius to 29 degree celsius...... now the problem is the normal room temperature here in india right now is 35 degree celsius........ i'm planning to build a small cooler for keeping the temps down........ but i need suggestions and help on how can i grow that lettuce at such hot temperature with some tweaking or any method possible........ i was lucky enough to acquire these seeds... that too with great effort...... now i really need to grow this for MAX............ suggestions and ideas are welcomed.......

here are some pics of the package and the seeds.........
Photo0793_zps5287bd42.jpg

Photo0789_zps88fe26c9.jpg

Photo0786_zpsba50a474.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I grow that stuff here in summer with no problem. Its over 40 during the day, but drops to 16 over night most days. Just give a few seeds a try and see what happens. Try some in large pots. Put some in more shady cooler areas and some in warmer more sunny areas and see what you get. I bet it will grow just fine for you.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Tom said:
I grow that stuff here in summer with no problem. Its over 40 during the day, but drops to 16 over night most days. Just give a few seeds a try and see what happens. Try some in large pots. Put some in more shady cooler areas and some in warmer more sunny areas and see what you get. I bet it will grow just fine for you.

Thank you Tom, for the quick reply.... i'll experiment with the seeds like you said...... and post the results here :)
one more question..... do they need direct sunlight???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
shanu303 said:
Tom said:

Thank you Tom, for the quick reply.... i'll experiment with the seeds like you said...... and post the results here :)
one more question..... do they need direct sunlight???

I grow all my stuff in direct full sun. Just don't let the soil dry out at all for the first couple of weeks. In summer I have to water new seeds lightly several times a day. The top layer of soil just dries out SOOOO quickly here. I give them a good soak after the sun goes down and first thing in the morning, but light waterings are necessary here all day long in hot weather.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
arotester said:
do they have cash on delivery mode???
actually i bought it from ebay.in but they don't have cash on delivery :(
but the service is very fast..... and the seller is very trusted and has 100% positive feedback........ i received my package in just 4 days..... it came straight from assam..... just for 99 rupees......

arotester

5 Year Member
shanu303 said:
arotester said:
do they have cash on delivery mode???
actually i bought it from ebay.in but they don't have cash on delivery :(
but the service is very fast..... and the seller is very trusted and has 100% positive feedback........ i received my package in just 4 days..... it came straight from assam..... just for 99 rupees......

thanks a lot for this i already ordered it from their site.....:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but romaine is not all that great of a food. Its not bad for them, its just not all that good for them either.

Can you guys get other seeds from this company? Endive, escarole, arugula, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, mesclun mix, cilantro, carrot tops, etc... There are just so many other better foods that can be grown.

arotester

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but romaine is not all that great of a food. Its not bad for them, its just not all that good for them either.

Can you guys get other seeds from this company? Endive, escarole, arugula, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, mesclun mix, cilantro, carrot tops, etc... There are just so many other better foods that can be grown.

i ordered endive and turnip from this company to add a bit of variety to the food.......this forum taught me one thing about the diet and that is not to feed any single thing for long and keep changing :)

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Tom said:

i have turnip greens, cilantro, carrot tops, readily available in the market.... the mustard greens i've grown them already :)

Jd3

5 Year Member
Most lettuce thrives cooler but will grow fine in hot. Just allow shade.

I grow it using deep water culture at 70f and it does well year round. In summer at 100f it does ok but can only get an hour or two of hot direct sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.