Roma's lanai enclosure (lots of pics)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Thanks Craig! Good point about the stones. They are marble chips (mixed with a few river stones) and don't seem too sharp, but I don't like that they aren't very stable, if you know what I mean. They tend to move around a bit as Roma climbs over them because they are all about the same size and don't really settle in to be smooth and compacted. (Does that make sense?). I'm thinking I might change to aquarium river rock gravel if I have problems with the chips.

Yvonne is right, that's a nasturtium. :) They had it in the vegetable section at Home Depot. Just got my first flowers on it!
Hi
Yes it makes sense. I'll get some nasturtium. Don't get any gravel that is small enough to eat. I'd limit the size to the size of his head as a guide.
Thanks again

Craig

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
@Anyfoot nasturtium grows pretty fast and easy. I just planted a packet of seeds and they are doing great. I can't wait for it to flower.

el_ote

5 Year Member
this is a real inspiration! great job! i hope mine ends up half as nice when i build my outdoor enclosure! really great job

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thank you for the kind words, everyone!

This is outdoors on my (concrete and tile) balcony. :)

Thanks! Good point about the hay, I'll try some orchid bark (messy but one of her favorite things to dig into). I currently have a piece of fine-grit sandpaper stapled onto the ramp, but it could be that she doesn't like how it feels -- can you suggest something else to use instead? I was hoping the sandpaper might help smooth down those needle-sharp claws that she has!

The temperatures here are probably mild enough to leave her out (it's rare for it to drop below 60 overnight here) but I have been bringing her in for my own peace of mind. You know how it is when you have a new little one! :)
You can wedge some little wooden 'ridges' onto the ramp. Anything as simple and as raised as popicale stick :)
60 is tiny bit chilly, you may want to wit until she's older leave her out :D
That's great. She's still small, so predators culd nip her!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
That is wonderful! I can't wait to get our Odin back outside and do some proper gardens for him! I can't get my nasturtium to grow for crap in the house. :(
Roma is also a much better housekeeper than our Odin, he makes a complete mess out of each and every garden and area we create. :D

FujiBaird

This is amazing!! I love it! I'd love to create something like this for my Hermanns.
Would it be possible to get a list of some of the plants you used?

Thank you! Here's a list of what I've planted.

Flowers:
Petunia
Viola
Nasturtium
California poppy (from seed, not really sprouted yet)
There's also a hibiscus outside the enclosure. I drop in the flowers and leaves occasionally.

Greens:
Wheat grass
Red leaf lettuce
Collard greens
Dandelion greens
Arugula
Malabar spinach
Fuzzy melon/mo qua (though I've since replaced it with zucchini)
Regular lawn grass
The following are all from seeds that are just starting to sprout:
Mustard greens
Radicchio
Curly kale
Endive

Other:
Tortoise seed mix (grasses/clover/greens/etc.)
Aloe
Jade plant
Cactus
Sheet moss

Roma's favorites for eating are petunia and viola leaves, red leaf spinach, and sprouts of the greens. She likes the wheat grass and malabar spinach for hiding. :)

FujiBaird

So here's some updated photos now that everything has grown in. :) Some of the plants have really gone crazy, like the malabar spinach that's on/above the white hide in the back!

Here's a couple with the predator cage on and a couple without.

20150310_131147.jpg 20150310_131156.jpg 20150310_131309.jpg 20150310_131344.jpg

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Love the bright colors and over all cheerful feeling it gives the humans. Love what all it gives the tortoise, including lots of plants to enjoy and stomp to death. :)