Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Does anyone have any small grape vines that have been propagated and are available for sale?
Colin

Grape vines are normally sold late winter/early spring as dormant bare root. It is by far best to plant/transplant grapevines while they are dormant. You should find lots of grape vines for sale everywhere Jan-Feb.

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
Colin

Grape vines are normally sold late winter/early spring as dormant bare root. It is by far best to plant/transplant grapevines while they are dormant. You should find lots of grape vines for sale everywhere Jan-Feb.
Good to know. Thanks Mark! I will take a look when that time comes. If by chance I do find some for sale now, is it likely they will not survive/thrive due to the summer weather?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Good to know. Thanks Mark! I will take a look when that time comes. If by chance I do find some for sale now, is it likely they will not survive/thrive due to the summer weather?
Should survive but need to treat like a potted plant. Probably won't get much growth out of it this year. The problem is grapevines are putting their growth energy into fruit this time of year, not as much active growth. In just a few weeks they will start pulling their energy stores back into the root systems for the winter and loose leaves and go dormant. Not a good time to get a new grape vine.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Should survive but need to treat like a potted plant. Probably won't get much growth out of it this year. The problem is grapevines are putting their growth energy into fruit this time of year, not as much active growth. In just a few weeks they will start pulling their energy stores back into the root systems for the winter and loose leaves and go dormant. Not a good time to get a new grape vine.

Yep, our Muscadine grapes (3 diff types) are all ripening now. Soon frost then the leaves all start to drop like flies. I pull leaves all year long and feed to our Sully. My vines are now about 8 or 9 years old, came bare root from a company down South.

➡️➡️ https://www.isons.com/product-category/muscadines/self-fertile-varieties/

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yep, our Muscadine grapes (3 diff types) are all ripening now. Soon frost then the leaves all start to drop like flies. I pull leaves all year long and feed to our Sully. My vines are now about 8 or 9 years old, came bare root from a company down South.

➡➡ https://www.isons.com/product-category/muscadines/self-fertile-varieties/
Do you know if there is a grape variety that can survive the heat here in low desert?

I've planted so many Thomson's Seedless vines, put a light sun cover over them, and watched them go from nice leafy young plants to shrivelled up sticks.

I don't know what to try next!

Fresno
Grapes are grown commercially in the Coachella valley. They can take a lot of heat, but need some chilling over winter to resume normal growth in spring. There could be other issues affecting your vines besides heat.
I wonder if it's worth the trouble though. Our sulcata doesn't really like grape leaves. He will eat young leaves and stems but doesn't relish them. And he refused older leaves entirely.

M.

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
Thanks Mark. I will hold off until next year.