Rose of Sharon...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I have so many ROS blooming right now I seriously need 3 adult Sulcata to just stay even. So many are going to waste...Mary K was getting a large pile of grape leafs, ROS blooms and leafs dandelion leafs and whatever else I found, cactus...because Mary was so stunted I kept a large pile of that in her pen...so now she's only eating the blooms, leaving the green stuff...ROS blooms and then she grazes...spoiled. Anybody come to Corvallis come on over and pick my trees...lol
pictures with my new camera...but that is another story...:(SUNP0019.JPG
oh hell...that's freakin awful...hahaha guess I'll need to fix all that...SUNP0016.JPG
I have 9 trees blooming like crazy and maybe 5 more about ready....100_3189 (1).JPG100_3174.JPG

Southern California
Wow!!! They are so full and very profuse blooms. Very beautiful!! Is she also eating the ROS leaves in that picture?

If you miss some flowers and they go to seed I would love to trade you for some seed if you are open to it. I have lots of organic garden seed. It’s really hard to find the ROS seeds, but I have some pink/white Etsy ones coming I’m gambling on.

A member here met with me in person and shared some clippings of theirs also. Have you ever tried to grow yours from cuttings? Really hoping a few take. I’m so jealous of your beautiful plants!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Wow!!! They are so full and very profuse blooms. Very beautiful!! Is she also eating the ROS leaves in that picture?

If you miss some flowers and they go to seed I would love to trade you for some seed if you are open to it. I have lots of organic garden seed. It’s really hard to find the ROS seeds, but I have some pink/white Etsy ones coming I’m gambling on.

A member here met with me in person and shared some clippings of theirs also. Have you ever tried to grow yours from cuttings? Really hoping a few take. I’m so jealous of your beautiful plants!!
Yes, she eats blooms and leaves...pm me with your address...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Id say time for us all to make a road trip! We do have some ROS and hibiscus…but not like that massive display! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thanks for posting this as I was also going to say, for those in the UK we can grow Hardy hibiscus for your torts. Mine is planted around speedys outside enclosure and now in bloom and being enjoyed but has to be chopped!. In the winter the leaves drop, but it will regrow annually just in case your interested. I bought mine online as bare root a few years ago. I have one showing 2 different types of blooms!IMG_20220807_180128_2.jpgIMG_20220807_180219_2.jpg

Last edited:
Southern California
Thanks for posting this as I was also going to say, for those in the UK we can grow Hardy hibiscus for your torts. Mine is planted around speedys outside enclosure and now in bloom and being enjoyed but has to be chopped!. In the winter the leaves drop, but it will regrow annually just in case your interested. I bought mine online as bare root a few years ago. I have one showing 2 different types of blooms!View attachment 348474View attachment 348475
Gorgeous! Looks like one of the double chiffon varieties. I found I can order those from HD online in the US, but it’s too hot to ship plants.

Your Chiffon blue flower was probably grafted onto a different rootstock (white flowers), which is why you see two colors. If you follow the branches the white will be coming from below the graft point. At least I’m guessing the double bloom is the intended graft as it’s more sought after. To avoid this in plants you don’t let the suckers grow below the graft. For flowers, if you love it, it’s just a bonus!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Gorgeous! Looks like one of the double chiffon varieties. I found I can order those from HD online in the US, but it’s too hot to ship plants.

Your Chiffon blue flower was probably grafted onto a different rootstock (white flowers), which is why you see two colors. If you follow the branches the white will be coming from below the graft point. At least I’m guessing the double bloom is the intended graft as it’s more sought after. To avoid this in plants you don’t let the suckers grow below the graft. For flowers, if you love it, it’s just a bonus!
Wow thanks for the explanation.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I have so many ROS blooming right now I seriously need 3 adult Sulcata to just stay even. So many are going to waste...Mary K was getting a large pile of grape leafs, ROS blooms and leafs dandelion leafs and whatever else I found, cactus...because Mary was so stunted I kept a large pile of that in her pen...so now she's only eating the blooms, leaving the green stuff...ROS blooms and then she grazes...spoiled. Anybody come to Corvallis come on over and pick my trees...lol
pictures with my new camera...but that is another story...:(View attachment 348466
oh hell...that's freakin awful...hahaha guess I'll need to fix all that...View attachment 348467
I have 9 trees blooming like crazy and maybe 5 more about ready....View attachment 348468View attachment 348469
Beautiful Rose of Sharon Bush, can't wait till my bushs get bigger so I can get bigger leaves. Only complaint I have about picking Rose of Sharon flowers for my Tortoise is that a have to shake off so many **** ants. By the time I'm finished picking, I have ants climbing all over me. 10 minutes to pick the flowers, 20 minutes to shake the ants off. Is there anything that I can put on the plant without hurting it to keep the ants off?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Beautiful Rose of Sharon Bush, can't wait till my bushs get bigger so I can get bigger leaves. Only complaint I have about picking Rose of Sharon flowers for my Tortoise is that a have to shake off so many **** ants. By the time I'm finished picking, I have ants climbing all over me. 10 minutes to pick the flowers, 20 minutes to shake the ants off. Is there anything that I can put on the plant without hurting it to keep the ants off?
Ants 🤣 try bees sleeping. That is why I don't pick in the afternoon.Shake then pick

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Give them all a good spray down if your hose is handy. Yep….ants and bees.
I was thinking something similar. Like rinsing them in a bucket of water. But a hosing first is even better.☺️

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I get ants on courgette / zucchini flowers. Agree a real pain to clean and prep. None on my hybiscus yet ......