ROUGH NIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
When I went out to my Moms Elongated enclosure this morning this is what I found. She keeps them outside at night because the temps are good. This tort had his wooden house turned on its side and he was standing in the doorway. He had a small pile of poop under him so I think he must have been there for awhile. I think I interupted his morning poop, had to grab the camera and get a pic

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think his strength even scared him. Which explains the poop LOL. Very cute pic

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
He really really wanted to poop on that wooden box but couldn't figure out how while it was still standing correctly... so he did what any practical tortoise would do...he flipped it.

This reminds me of the night that I swore I kept hearing what sounded like a trash can being dragged across the concrete outside. It was 12am, pitch black, and I hear this noise that scares me to death, of course. So I turn the lights on, and what I see is my leopard gecko, who lived in a slate bottomed tank at the time, dragging his humid hide across his tank. The hide was just a plastic tupperware container with paper towels in it, and he had one of the paper towels in his mouth, dragging the whole thing towards his other, dry, hide. He wouldn't even let it go after I picked it up, stupid gecko.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Weird, curious and great fun picture....he does look like he is leaning on a bar waiting for a drink....very funny, was anything else out of sorts in his enclosure? any other critter foot prints or such?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
Weird, curious and great fun picture....he does look like he is leaning on a bar waiting for a drink....very funny, was anything else out of sorts in his enclosure? any other critter foot prints or such?

No other critters, These Elongated are very active at night. I hear Elongated are generally active at night. I think thats why they have those big black eyes. My Mom has found them flipped on back from time to time. They run around the yard during the day, I try to leave them out as late as possible

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That's funny....now see if they lived at my house.....I would be setting up night obstacle courses to see what they mess with to try to guess what they were doing all night....lol....I would love to have seen the vid of the house flipping (maybe an isolated small tornado???LOL)...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
bigred said:
ascott said:

No other critters, These Elongated are very active at night. I hear Elongated are generally active at night. I think thats why they have those big black eyes. My Mom has found them flipped on back from time to time. They run around the yard during the day, I try to leave them out as late as possible

You are spot on. Thats exactly why they have the large eyes. Crespecular is what they are. Active after sunset and before dawn. you can catch them doing the weirdest things a few hours after its dark. Man he looks very content with what he just did. :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
tortadise said:
bigred said:
ascott said:

You are spot on. Thats exactly why they have the large eyes. Crespecular is what they are. Active after sunset and before dawn. you can catch them doing the weirdest things a few hours after its dark. Man he looks very content with what he just did. :)

Thanks for the info, I hear these guys can also be pretty rough with each other when they become adults. When mating the males can ram the females pretty hard. I hear that when they become of size for mating the male or females head turn pink? Have you ever seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.