RT Christmas Present

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N.E. San Antonio
Well, we managed to keep the RT a secret till the big morning. My son is so pleased with his gift, but...

I noticed that her eyes are watery. I'm not certain if she's eating... if she is, it's not much. I'll have to attach a pic later of she and her enclosure.

There is a 14 day health guarantee on the RT's at Petco. Are watery eyes enough to return her to the store for? I hate to do that to her, but I also hate spending $90 on a sick RT.

She was at my daughters house for 5 days in a large rubbermaid container with alphafa pellet substrate, a UV light, ceramic heater and a water dish. I hope I didn't do something to make her sick.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Have you changed her to a different enclosure? The alfalfa pellets are not a great substrate. Take some pics and include the temps that you have. Do you have a basking light? Maybe it is not warm enough.

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
Ok, I'll change the substrate. I'm getting the impression here that the best substrate is the 50/50 sand soil. Is that correct?

Do they still need the basking light with the ceramic heater? I'll have to invest in a thermometer as well.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Soil and sand is usually the best thing for Russians.
You only really need a ceramic heat emitter if your night time temperatures are to low. During the day tortoises need as much visable light as you can possibly give them.
A regular incandescent or combined heat and UV bulb is best for a day time basking spot.

Danny

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
Ok, I'll take that advise and fix up her enclosure. I did notice that we we had her outdoors today she seemed much more perky.

I'm in the process of fixing up an outdoor play pen for her.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Outdoor sunshine is always best, but when not available you have to get that heat and light up inside. I think you will find that might make all the difference.

S

stells

i would use more topsoil than sand in the mix 60/40 or even 70/30 is fine :)

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Regular soil that you buy in bulk at a garden place, or does it have to be special? I know that it shouldn't be potting soil.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
If you can find organic, that is ideal. You can usually find it at garden centers.

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
well, now her outdoor play and indoor tub is lined with top soil and sand. I also moved the heater a little closer so the temp would rise a bit in one corner of the tub. I put a thermometer at one end and it's reading somewhere around 80-85.

She (sorry, not named yet) instantly stuck her face in the dirt when I put her on it. I don't know how to read the emotions of a RT yet, but somehow it seemed like she was a little happier.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Try to get the basking spot up even a little higher - 85 is the lowest, mine love it at more around 90-95!

Good luck! :)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
You are on the right track. As Kelly said, that basking spot has got to get up a bit higher. Mine is usually between 95-100. As long as they have their cool side, they will move away if they need to.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Maybe I missed this but:
What are you offering her for food?
About how old is she/how long?

Good luck! You are doing a great job tweaking as you go:)

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
We've been offering romaine lettuce and green bell peppers.

She is (I'm guesstimating) 4 inches long. Don't really know how old she is. Petco said 5 years, but everything else they told me has turned out to be wrong.

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
I think she is trying to hibernate. I put her outdoors today in her play pen that now has topsoil/sand in it. I also planted some pansies in one corner for her to munch. She was only interested in going to a cold corner and burying herself. She stayed buried for about an hour when I decided that the sun was to low, so I brought her in.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
http://www.russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm
Here are some other food ideas for you:D

I know nothing about hibernation in tortoises. Perhaps someone else can chime in. I know our guy is inside (we are in MN), when the sun starts to go down...even with his uva/uvb light blaring...he starts to dig in for the night....
How warm is it where you are?
Any name yet?:)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I know we talked earlier about getting temps up. That very well may be what she is trying to do. I just took a rescue in that had been kept in a cold basement. All he wanted to do was hide. So, I just warm bathed him and kept his lights and warmth going. It took almost a week to get him to start eating. So I think if you get those temps up, you will start seeing some success.

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
daddykirbs said:
She (sorry, not named yet) instantly stuck her face in the dirt when I put her on it. I don't know how to read the emotions of a RT yet, but somehow it seemed like she was a little happier.

The visual of this in my head made me smile this morning...how sweet!! Sounds like she is very happy with her new family!!:D

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
Well, good news... Our little girl ate this morning.

I moved her rubbermaid tub upstairs where it's a bit warmer. She got a warm bath this morning as well.

We plucked some Hibiscus leaves and Pansy leaves and she grubbed. It's good to see.

I also got a new lamp this morning that I haven't plugged in yet, we'll see if she likes that later.

Status
Not open for further replies.