Rubs eyes and sleeps a lot

Maria457

Location (City and/or State)
New bern
Hello, I’m a new Greek tortoise mom.. we just got him 2 days ago.. and although I thought I educated myself before hand I have so many questions.. every time I bath him he rubs his eyes is that normal? And he sleeps a lot and doesn’t eat much? he’s between 1 inch and 2 inches big and got shipped from Florida to NC.. we wanted a boy and I’m also wondering how we could tell the difference between a boy and a girl doe anyone know?

Last edited:

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
He's a baby. He's going to sleep and hide a lot. So much so that you will constantly think something is wrong with him. There most likely is not. Babies that don't hide in the wild become lunch. He also has been through a fairly traumatic experience. He needs time to adapt. You won't be able to tell the difference in sex for quite some time.

Maria457

New bern
Ok thank you so much! I just figured out he likes to eat in the basking area.. so he’s finally eating :) I’m wondering how the people that sold him could tell the sex?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
They couldn't. At best they guesstimated by knowing what temperature the eggs were incubated at. generally, higher temps produce mostly females and lower temps produce mostly males. By the time he is old enough to determine sex there won't be much you could say to the breeder

Maria457

New bern
Thank you so much for the info! I had no clue.. it gave us the option to choose the sex which I’m guessing they shouldn’t do..