Runt of the litter?

redfootdaddy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto ON
Hi friends, it's been a while since I've posted here but gearing up for a vet visit in a couple months and I thought I'd see if anyone has some input.

Our redfoot Pao is at least eight years old - maybe nine - we're not quite sure. She's only 7" long and weighs about a kilo. She's been about this size for probably the last two years, hasn't grown more than a half inch in that time.

Diet is most lettuce, kale, leafy greens, and the occasional bit of fruit. Sometimes she gets the dehydrated fruit and veggie mix.

The temps in her enclosure are good but I struggle with maintaining humidity, which I'm sure is part of the issue. We are starting the process of a new PVC enclosure that will definitely help the humidity issue.

So basically - should I be worried? Should I be feeding her more? Pellets? Calcium powder? Are some torts just on the tiny side?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most fresh. Uncooked and un processed food that your family eats, he can eat.
Green leafy vegetable matter, fruit, edible flowers, mushrooms, cactus, meat. They can eat hundreds of things.
Lettuce should be avoided unless it's Romaine.
There should be several good food choices easy to get at any time. Anywhere you live.
Try to feed fresh.

redfootdaddy

5 Year Member
Toronto ON
Most fresh. Uncooked and un processed food that your family eats, he can eat.
Green leafy vegetable matter, fruit, edible flowers, mushrooms, cactus, meat. They can eat hundreds of things.
Lettuce should be avoided unless it's Romaine.
There should be several good food choices easy to get at any time. Anywhere you live.
Try to feed fresh.
Argh I was told to feed everything but lettuce sparingly. I'll make some changes immediately, I feel like a terrible father.

What do you recommend for protein? I will sometimes give her an egg, I'm thinking maybe some shredded chicken. Leftover rats? We don't keep a lot of meat for humans in the house.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Argh I was told to feed everything but lettuce sparingly. I'll make some changes immediately, I feel like a terrible father.

What do you recommend for protein? I will sometimes give her an egg, I'm thinking maybe some shredded chicken. Leftover rats? We don't keep a lot of meat for humans in the house.
High quality dog or cat food is acceptable also