Rupert

LauraZ

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello! I'm a first time tortious owner and hope to learn a lot on this forum. I got Rupert from a friend who's had him about 4 years and doesn't think he's grown much since she got him. He's about 7" long and I think he's an Eastern Hermann's but not 100% sure. She was told he was a Russian Tortoise when she got him from one of her daughter's friend.
I don't think he's had much variety of diet, mainly lettuce mixes.
This is very exciting adventure for me. I've joined a few groups note to learn of the best care for him. By the way, I'm not sure he is a he ... How do I tell?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura and welcome!

If you'll post a picture of the tortoise we can tell you for sure what species he is and in order for us to know the sex, we'll need to see his tail and underside.

The care is pretty much the same for Russians and Hermanns, but we can give you better info if we're sure which species we're talking about.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hi, welcome!

Post some pictures of your tortoise (above/below shell) along with the current enclosure. It will help to ID the tortoise and make sure nothing is wrong with your setup.

Also: What are the temperatures? Basking? Cool side? What is his/her diet?

LauraZ

Wisconsin
Hi Laura and welcome!

If you'll post a picture of the tortoise we can tell you for sure what species he is and in order for us to know the sex, we'll need to see his tail and underside.

The care is pretty much the same for Russians and Hermanns, but we can give you better info if we're sure which species we're talking about.
He is currently in a 20 gal tank with a tree bark hide and a heat pad under the tank plus a lamp over the top for basking but not very long. I've raised it higher as I think it was too low/hot and I'm not sure it's the correct bulb. I have ordered one with UVA/UVB and will also be building a 30x48 enclosure.
I just got him last Sunday. I have a a lot of work and learning ahead of me. Next week he goes to the vet for a checkup and a beak trim. 20181004_073313.jpeg20181007_153703.jpegResized952018101095213349956559.jpeg

LauraZ

Wisconsin
Hi, welcome!

Post some pictures of your tortoise (above/below shell) along with the current enclosure. It will help to ID the tortoise and make sure nothing is wrong with your setup.

His diet was mainly lettuce mixes with some fruit but I'm adding things as I learn. Dandelion, grasses, clover, coleous, a little apple and carrot. I'm buying organic and pulling weeds from untreated areas where I live.
I'm trying to go slow. I also bought calcium supplements as he's not been given any from his previous owners. I read three time/wk for that.
I'm getting a litter pan and his own little brush for baths (twice weekly/ 1/2 hour min. Soaks)?
So much to learn!!

LauraZ

Wisconsin
Hi, welcome!

He's got a Zoomed heat pad under the tank (20 gal) and a heat lamp but I'm using it sparingly till I get his new enclose made (30x48) and can position it where he can choose the heat or not. Also ordered a new bulb with UVA/UVB light and will make an adjustable hanger for it as well.
Was eating lettuce greens, some fruit, no supplements for years. I'm introducing more ... Grasses, coleus, dandelion greens, clover Leafs, a little apple, carrot, I gave him a little tiny piece of aloe vera plant after my cats broke one less off. He eats very well.
He goes to the vet next week for am exam and beak trim.
Thanks for asking!20181007_153756.jpeg20181007_153709.jpegResized952018101095213348954272.jpeg20181007_153605.jpeg

N

no one

He is a he, long tail and concave plastron. And he is a Hermans Tortoise I think. It is a good thing you will get his beak trimmed.
Oh, and better not give him any fruit.
Enjoy your Tortoise!!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

I'll echo the previous advice: No fruit, much bigger enclosure than 48x30, and no heat pads for tortoises. Sounds like you've vastly improved the diet, but I'd go easy with the grass since this is not really a grass eating species. You may find that he doesn't like some of the new stuff you are offering even though it is much better for him. This is normal. Keep offering those new weedy items and you can even mix them in with the old favorite stuff to get him used to it and introduce new things.

Also, be careful at the vets office. Many vets don't know much about tortoise care, so they go to the back and read a handbook or vet website that advises "vitamin" injections as a way to do something to charge some money. These vitamin injections are totally unnecessary and sometimes do harm. Politely decline and realize that the person you've found doesn't know much of anything about tortoises. Likewise on a "calcium" injection.

Care for this species is similar to russian tortoises, so check this out too for more care info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

LauraZ

Wisconsin
Thanks for all of the great info!! Regarding beak trimming, do you advise clipping (using what?) or filing?