Russian awake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

5 Year Member
My russian "Greta" has appeared from her burrow today. I live in Az where the temps have been in the high 60's and 40's at night. She lives in an outside enclosure and was in a hole inside her burrow since about middle November. I am pretty sure she has been nibbling on some weeds in her enclosure today. Should I go ahead and soak her? Do you think she is up for good?

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Niki said:
My russian "Greta" has appeared from her burrow today. I live in Az where the temps have been in the high 60's and 40's at night. She lives in an outside enclosure and was in a hole inside her burrow since about middle November. I am pretty sure she has been nibbling on some weeds in her enclosure today. Should I go ahead and soak her? Do you think she is up for good?

She's probably up for good. I bet she could use a good soak after her long nap.

My Russian popped out of his burrow a couple weeks ago, a full month earlier than I expected. The weather seems alot warmer this year than the past couple of years (at least where I'm at). The hibernation season keeps getting shorter.

40s at night is still pretty cold. You may want to bring her in at night until it warms up.

Niki

5 Year Member
Thanks.... I didn't mess with her today, but I will soak her first thing in the morning. I also have a big Tupperware box in my garage I can put her in at night.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
3 of my Russians are awake and sunning themselves today. I dont know if they will stay awake, but they were looking great and well rested today!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If they choose to eat then go back down for a few more weeks, do you let them? (Although I don't think you can get in the way of a Russian tort, lol)

Niki

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
If they choose to eat then go back down for a few more weeks, do you let them? (Although I don't think you can get in the way of a Russian tort, lol)

That is my question too... I have already soaked her and she has been eating dandelions most of the day. I am assuming she is up for good and won't hibernate now. I just kinda let her do her own thing and it would be hard to keep her from hibernating. Also.. Does everyone agree that 46 at night is too cold? Should I let her sleep in garage at night?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If your brumating tort arises a bit early, but in this case---not into severe weather...they may choose to soak up some available sun and they may even partake of the new fresh weed stock....either case should be aok, I just would TOTALLY NOT offer any supplemental foods at this point, the days are just not consistently warm enough to facilitate digestion for those types of foods....

If a tort comes up and takes in water, sun and a nibble of fresh weeds and then the weather returns to cold and they retreat again, they should be aok---but would absolutely not not not offer any grocery store goods whatsoever....

I personally would leave the tort outdoors at night...and I say this because they have been outside to date and should be acclimated to the weather at this point....also, if they decide it is a bit chilly, they can return to their brumation spot to counter the weather....however, if you notice that they are not doing what is beneficial for them, then by all means I would bring them in at night....

Niki

5 Year Member
ascott said:
If your brumating tort arises a bit early, but in this case---not into severe weather...they may choose to soak up some available sun and they may even partake of the new fresh weed stock....either case should be aok, I just would TOTALLY NOT offer any supplemental foods at this point, the days are just not consistently warm enough to facilitate digestion for those types of foods....

If a tort comes up and takes in water, sun and a nibble of fresh weeds and then the weather returns to cold and they retreat again, they should be aok---but would absolutely not not not offer any grocery store goods whatsoever....

I personally would leave the tort outdoors at night...and I say this because they have been outside to date and should be acclimated to the weather at this point....also, if they decide it is a bit chilly, they can return to their brumation spot to counter the weather....however, if you notice that they are not doing what is beneficial for them, then by all means I would bring them in at night....

Thank you! I feel better leaving her outside all the time. She has a burrow she sleeps in and comes up during daylight.
So, no extra food, just weeds available in her enclosure. Sounds good!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I agree with Angela. She can go to her burrow at night, and sounds like basking areas warm up to a nice temp during the day. She knows what she is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.