Russian eating substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortimus

5 Year Member
This is a curious problem, I have a Russian, only about 8 months old, and recently I have caught him trying to eat clumps of substrate. But I feed him very regularly, I might be feeding him a bit too much even. I use coco coir with sphagnum peat moss mixed in. I rotate him between an indoor and outdoor enclosure. He has a very steady diet, and no irregularities in his poos. Occasionally he'll poop out a coco string, but that didn't strike me as terrible. But in the past month or so I have been seeing him just grabbing clumps of the dirt and chewing it up, swallowing it. He just did it this morning, but I had fed him quite a hearty meal yesterday. Is this his way of throwing a tantrum because he wants food?

Obviously this is a serious concern because I don't want him to get anything impacted, also can't be much nutrition in dirt. Sorry if there is a sticky on this, I tried to find one.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Weird, but not uncommon. I have heard of tortoises doing this, but not sure if it is a problem or not. I don't think it is.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
In another thread, one of the experts said it would not do harm. Just keep your tortoise hydrated so it moves along, if you will. Oh, another tip was to spray it moist and tap it down with your hand. And a piece of slate or tile for the food helps keep it clean and their beaks in shape.

I bought some cat grass seeds at Target, in the garden section and sprinkled them in a corner. Looks like a little lawn and my tortoises can graze. I think edibles in their enclosures is a great idea. Pop a lettuce plant in there. Hopefully this helps.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Do you give your tort supplements such as calcium powder or nutrabol? Does he have a cuttlefish/bone?

Tortimus

5 Year Member
He doesn't have any plants in there right now, he ate all the ones I was growing before. I sprinkle calcium powder on his food about twice a week. I also spray the substrate every day, and add water to it so he can burrow to the moist bits.

He had a cuttlebone, but he pooped on it. I think he was trying to send a message.

And he does eat off of a slate slab.

Status
Not open for further replies.