Russian Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Speedmister

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,

My four year old Russian has, pretty much, an upside-down mouth structure. It's not just an underbite - the whole bottom jaw is just like what the top jaw should be. He is adorable, though!

He blinks upside down - and his eyelid goes to the base of his eye. They point, a little like 'alien eyes', towards his nose.

Has he got upside-down eyes?

Is he seeing everything upside down?

Or is it normal for tortoises?

Thanks

The Speedmister

5 Year Member
UK
He has just gone to bed, and I will take some photos tomorrow. Do tortoises normally blink upside down - their eyelids coming up from the bottom and going back to the bottom of the eye? Or is it just him?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The Speedmister said:
He has just gone to bed, and I will take some photos tomorrow. Do tortoises normally blink upside down - their eyelids coming up from the bottom and going back to the bottom of the eye? Or is it just him?

Yes, turtles (and some other animals, like cats) blink by raising their bottom eyelid. This is in contrast to humans and other primates, which blink by lowering their upper eyelid. Turtle eyes are also slanted downward toward the nose, perhaps so that they can be horizontal when the head is held up in an alert posture. Sounds like your tortoise's eyes are normal, although by your description the mouth might be abnormal, so please include pictures when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.