Russian female been ill

ColinS

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
My Russian female has been ill lately. I look back now and it’s been a small while really. Her eyes have been puffed up so much so they was closed. As I have other Russians not affected I figured it was best to separate and not hibernate this particular female. All live out side in a 20x4 enclosure. 24/7. With a heated cold frame. Anyway this female was brought inside and soaked twice a day in carrot blended water. Eyes was opening slightly. I’ve bought repti boost and used a couple of times and instant improvement. Came home today from work and low and behold there’s an egg smashed in the enclosure (indoors). Could she have been egg bound. ??? Would this have caused the puffy eyes???? Any help would be appreciated. I’m gonna keep soaking in the repti boost. And using zoo med eye drops for the next week. And also the vitamin a soaks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@ColinS - Yes, chances are good that she had eggs to lay and couldn't find a decent place to dig a nest, so she kept them. Best bet now is to keep her warm, day and night, in a quiet place and hope she can pass the rest of the clutch. Nice long warm soaks also helps. It's just about impossible to provide a good INDOOR nesting site, so you have to hope for the best. You can try providing a deeper box of digging dirt and see if she'll take to it.

ColinS

Manchester
To be honest she has been outdoors with substrate deep enough to dig a nest as I watched her laying and also found eggs when we re arranged the plants!! But yes she possibly may not have deemed it good enough ha
She is indoors now with a heat lamp/basking lamp and the house itself is virtually never lower than 18 degrees Celsius. And defo never lower than 16 at night. Plenty of warm soaks.
She does look a whole lot better