Russian, Golden Greek, Or Hermann?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Leandro, California
Okay so I live in Hawaii and I want to get a tortoise, Im really torn between the three Ive mentioned. I find them all to be very beautiful tortoises. Can anyone give me some information on the three of them? which one would be the best companion? ive already done a ton of research on tortoises(mostly russians) and how to care for them, months and months of research actually, but like i said im just torn between what kind of Tort i want. Anyone have advice and opinions. thank you!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I like Hermanns and Greeks, not the biggest fan of the way Russians look.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Russians are my favorite of any tortoise species because of their outgoing personalities. :)

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I have a Russian, daisy, and she is sooooo sweet and has a huge personality. Like you, I did my research when I got her a few months ago on different species, so in general Greeks are bigger and have more beautiful shells, but russians have bigger personalities (sorry, I don't know that much about hermanns...). But every tortoise is different, so you could see a Greek with a huuuuge personality or a Russian with a really beautiful shell.

Also, I almost forgot... If you're still not sure, go to the store you were going to get it from and keep an open mind! That's how I found Rosie (my first tortoise whom I had to give back due to health complications)! If you're open to suggestions, marginateds have beautiful shells and are really sweet!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Russians are the best ! They have great personalities and eat like little pigs + they adapt very fast

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Climate matching is very important. You sure you want a temperate zone (non-tropical) tortoise when you live in tropical Hawaii? There are plenty of neat tropical tortoises from South America, Africa, and Asia. Some of them get big, but many are about the same size as the Testudo species.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Climate matching is very important. You sure you want a temperate zone (non-tropical) tortoise when you live in tropical Hawaii? There are plenty of neat tropical tortoises from South America, Africa, and Asia. Some of them get big, but many are about the same size as the Testudo species.
I completely agree with this!
If you consider a tortoise species that is better matched to you climate it will be easier to maintain,especially outdoors, with less health and environmental issues. In the long run you'll be happier and so will the tortoise.
One species that stands above the rest would be Redfoots. Most are just slightly bigger as adults than Eastern Hermann's. There are other great species too that would live well in your climate, most do get somewhat larger.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
GBtortoises said:
I completely agree with this!
If you consider a tortoise species that is better matched to you climate it will be easier to maintain,especially outdoors, with less health and environmental issues. In the long run you'll be happier and so will the tortoise.
One species that stands above the rest would be Redfoots. Most are just slightly bigger as adults than Eastern Hermann's. There are other great species too that would live well in your climate, most do get somewhat larger.

Yep, South American redfoots are great. I had one in Florida, and she was awesome. Redfoots are readily available, and not very expensive. As GB said, they do get slightly bigger than Testudo species, though (14 inches vs. 10 inches), so if you're looking for something smaller, there are other options.

The Indotestudo species are the tropical cousins of the Mediterranean tortoises. They even look a lot like them and are about the same size. However, being forest tortoises, they are more omnivorous (rather like a redfoot, or a bit like a box turtle).

The pancake tortoise (Malacochersus tornieri) is related to the Testudos and Indotestudos, but it's from Africa. It's in the same size range, but its shell is flatter and a bit more flexible, hence the name. They live in rock crevices and are pretty sociable with each other.

Finally, the hingebacks (Kinixys species) are the African cousins of the South American redfoot group. They are about the same size as Testudos, but again, being forest tortoises, they are also more omnivorous. They get their name from the hinge on their carapace that allows them to close the back of their shell more completely.

All of these species would do well in tropical Hawaii. Better, I would argue (and I think GB agrees) than temperate tortoises like the Testudos, just as the Testudos do better in cooler, often drier climates than their tropical relatives. :)

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
San Leandro, California
Thank you all so much for all the answers!! The reason I was thinking of getting a russian or greek is because i live on the big island, east side so its very rainy all the time but we do get sun sometime, yes i know its an island but i just feel like its not tropical in this area, at least not like the other islands, theres alot of people over here that have those kinds of tortoises but you guys are all right, its about whats best for the tortoise so i will deffinently look into those tortoises youve mentioned that would be better in this climate! i like the pancake tortoise its really cute! thank you all so much for your time!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
kj_benavidez said:
Thank you all so much for all the answers!! The reason I was thinking of getting a russian or greek is because i live on the big island, east side so its very rainy all the time but we do get sun sometime, yes i know its an island but i just feel like its not tropical in this area, at least not like the other islands, theres alot of people over here that have those kinds of tortoises but you guys are all right, its about whats best for the tortoise so i will deffinently look into those tortoises youve mentioned that would be better in this climate! i like the pancake tortoise its really cute! thank you all so much for your time!

The tropics include both wet and dry conditions. It's just that they don't get as cold as the temperate zones because they are closer to the equator.

If you had to get a Mediterranean tortoise, then I would recommend the Hermann tortoise, and possibly the Greek, over the Russian. All Testudo tortoises come from somewhat dry environments, but the Hermann and to some extent the Greek are also found in woodland areas that get a little more rain (usually more in the autumn and winter than in the spring or summer). In contrast, Russian tortoises are native to grassland and desert areas that get very little rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.