Russian Hibernation Questions for Vet Visit?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello, my male Russian tortoise is about 10 yrs old and has visited the same vet twice now, once about 5 yrs ago and then again last summer. He seems to be in great health and the vet thinks so too. He's active and his eyes are bright. He gets a varied diet and lots of outdoor time (or as much as you can in Michigan). I love to spoil him! :)

Since I have made an appointment to see the vet this Saturday, I want to make sure that my little Steve is ready to hibernate this winter. I have not yet talked to my vet about hibernation specifically. Are there some specific questions that I should ask the vet? I thought I should ask the experts here first to see if there are any questions I should have ready.

I know I still have to do a lot of research on hibernation on my own too. But any quick tips or links to other threads would be very helpful. Thanks for your expertise, everyone!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My only advice, this is my 1st year hibernating as well, is don't rely on a vet to tell you how. They often have very old outdated info. I saw a post from @Tom a while back, but can't find it. Should have bookmarked it, because I know I am going to need to read it over and over this fall. Maybe he can point us to it? It was a great detailed explanation on how he does it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know where that post is either Jodie. I've typed it all up several times. Hibernation is easy and good for them if its done right. There are just a few simple steps to follow. I don't have time to type it all up right now. I wonder if @jaizei knows where to find it. He seems to be able to find anything.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks for the tips on hibernation -- I will have to start researching that soon! I'll be leaving in a few minutes to take our baby to the vet. :tort: I'm hoping with all the outside time he's had this summer browsing for food in the sunshine that he'll have a clean bill of health! :<3:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Vet said he's looking good. He's 526 grams now so he's grown a bit since his last checkup (gained 9 grams). He's had a lot of rapid shell growth recently too, but he feels "solid." The vet almost scared me saying reptiles can randomly die while hibernating but he may have initially thought that I was going to hibernate him outdoors. In Michigan?! No way!!! XD They will test his feces to see if he needs any medicine for nematodes. Steve is very happy to be back home now with a delicious Mazuri treat! :D