Russian in Boston area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I wasn't sure where to post this. But there is a pet shop near a friends house where there is a Russian with a badly overgrown beak. The owner has been in business over thirty years. When the tortoise came to him he came that way. I feel awful for him. He's already been there a couple of months. I have absolutely no room for another tortoise.

Is there anything I can do? I think it's so overgrown he would need to see a vet for it. I asked a few responsible friends if they could take him but they worry about space. Every time I see him it makes me so sad. I have no idea how he eats with his beak like that.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Beak trims usually aren't too expensive. Maybe you could prepay for the trim at a nearby vet or the vet the store uses, and let the store know how concerned you are and that you payed for the service if they will just take it (or let you )

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much that is an awesome suggestion! I never thought of that. I feel so awful I want to help him in some way.
I plan on going in sometime this week so I will mention this to the owner and call me vet to see if she works with Russians.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Is it a male or female? My sister lives in Boston and if it's a female I may have room for it and she can help get it to me.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
OMG that would be amazing! I have no idea if its a male or female. I will most definitely find out this week. Tomorrow is a holiday so I'm not sure if they're open. I will try to go tomorrow and Tuesday.

I will ask the guy. But how do I tell in a Russian?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
See if you can take a picture of the plastron and its tail, if it's a long tail it's probably a male and short is probably a female.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Sorry, things were crazy here yesterday so I didn't get to the pet shop.

I went today and the guy said that she is a she and the reason she's been there so long is because he's been telling people she isn't for sale because he fears someone will buy her and not get her beak taken care of. He said he wants to get her beak fixed before selling her. I hadn't even mentioned the beak I just mentioned that I noticed she had been there a while and that's what he told me. He told me how much she was and offered me a deal on her. He offered her to me because I've been going there since I was a kid. He knows I would get her help.

She is still very young so her gender isn't definite.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I wish so badly I could say I bought her. But I just don't have the room for another tortoise habitat. I want to get her so bad. I wish I owned a house already.

I'm going back to make the offer suggested above (to help pay for the beak filing.) See what happens. I was going to bring it up to him then and there but wanted to come home and see what I could do about getting her and I just don't have the room :(

Status
Not open for further replies.