Russian in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chester County, PA
I'm new to having a Russian and he's been outside the last couple of days and nights and it's been raining a lot. My box turtle loves the rain and humidity and thrives, but Hemi I'm not so sure. I brought him inside tonight to dry warm temps and after a soak he climbed up on his rock and did head jerks!! He never did this before. He seemed very excited to be back inside.

Is he getting too much rain or humidity outside? When it's warm and sunny I don't worry - but it's cooler and rainy and I'm wondering if he can handle 58 degree evenings?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If it is >60 nights and they have a dry burrow, they sometimes just hide out until the rain settles down. They don't like it as much as Box turtles do, although occasionally a Russian will.
They can tolerate cooler temps at night if they can bask during the day (that is, it's OK it they are dry, down into the 40's, if the sun comes out the next day to warm up under).
The main worry is cold and wet, but you probably did the right thing (depending on your temps) by bringing him in.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I just checked on him and he went from the cool side to his warm side of his enclosure (indoors)! He is smiling now. I wonder if he jerked his head earlier because he was cold and couldn't warm up? He's so smart. And so darn cute!! Now I guess I should watch out for rain and take him inside often??

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You have to be a weather watcher.
If it is going to rain for a day, but not be too cold, and he has a dry area, he will be OK.
If it is going to be cold and damp, or the rain will last several days, probably bring him in.

Soon you will be worrying about finding him shade! ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
NOAA is a good site for weather watching....I am in the high desert California ia and I have to keep track of the weather here from time to time as well....lol:D

Remember...swooping up your tort to indoors is not a failure but rather good preventative measure when needed.....
:p

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
ascott said:
NOAA is a good site for weather watching....I am in the high desert California ia and I have to keep track of the weather here from time to time as well....lol:D

Remember...swooping up your tort to indoors is not a failure but rather good preventative measure when needed.....

I never read anyone else say they were watching the weather and taking their tort inside during rainy periods!!

He has plenty of hides, but he's new and I was taking baby steps. He is so different when compared to my boxie!! My boxie loves her water dish that's outside, but the tort seems to prefer soaks inside. I honestly thought keeping him outside everyday would be the standard. Good to know :) thanks :) I did feel like a failure ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Bringing a tort in during rain us really only necessary if the temperature is going to fall too low for a prolonged period, or if there's a flood risk.

Otherwise leave 'em out. They may choose to shelter ( it must be pretty noisy on the shell) ... Or not. Joe likes it in the rain. He didn't even shelter for a recent unexpected hail storm; now that MUST have been noisy :D

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
ascott said:

Ps.. I do a lot of sailing and rely on NOAA a lot :) now Hemi does too :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lol...where I live it is important to know when heavy downpours are in the forecast ...I live in the desert and heavy rain can quickly create flooding and rapid creeks and waterways in unusual places....also I have one of the CDTs here that has a 6+ foot deep natural dug burrow....along with his above ground chick made half dome hide....and so it is important to know what weather is forecasted....I have in the past, during winter when the CDTs brumated outdoors, had to do rapid water rescues of a couple of them while they were in their sleepy state and they never had a clue what was going on and what they had just been rescued from...so now they brumate indoors in their own boxes in their own dark quiet cold closet...lol.

We have to remember that in their Wildlands they perish as a result of flooding....drowning...freezing as well...captivity only lessens their options for self selection of optimum shelter spots....they can only choose from what we offer...you know?

Anywhoooo a little warm rain is good for them as long as they can get dry and rise up and out of the water if they choose or need to...:p

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
SailingMystic said:
ascott said:

Ps.. I do a lot of sailing and rely on NOAA a lot :) now Hemi does too :)
You mean he goes sailing too HAHA!!:D:D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It's been raining off and on and chilly here,the only ones that I had outside full time that I brought in were the yellow foot tortoises,I was afraid that there would not be enough sun for them to warm up during the day,The manouria love this weather and Walker stays out year round, the other 4 tortoises, weather permitting are, in and out daily at this time of year.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
That's the thing-- Hemi wasn't getting sun for three days now and it's rainy and cold. Well- today it was warm and rainy. Keeping an eye on him. He ate tonight. He definitely eats better inside :)!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
SailingMystic said:
That's the thing-- Hemi wasn't getting sun for three days now and it's rainy and cold. Well- today it was warm and rainy. Keeping an eye on him. He ate tonight. He definitely eats better inside :)!

And that's the ticket: you watch your torts, understand the kind of general outdoor climate they need (not just to survive, but to be happy), and adjust to it.
Perfect.

Note: I do think they can accommodate over time. After a few years, a Russian may adapt more to PA or WA weather. But at first, it seems wise not to take the chance.

Len said:
It's been raining off and on and chilly here,the only ones that I had outside full time that I brought in were the yellow foot tortoises,I was afraid that there would not be enough sun for them to warm up during the day,The manouria love this weather and Walker stays out year round, the other 4 tortoises, weather permitting are, in and out daily at this time of year.

yes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My small tortoises are all fair weather tortoises. I always bring them in during unfavorable weather. Granted I have different species, but I have done this with more weather tolerant species in the past too, including Russians. Just because they can survive inclement weather, is no reason to make them suffer through it. Bring them in. Let them warm up. Give Them good meal. I would much rather watch my tortoise basking and eating indoors in perfect conditions, than worry about him sitting in a little shelter outside in the cold and the rain... They get plenty of outside time in large interesting enclosures when the weather is more suitable.

goochestortoise

5 Year Member
My Russians stay outdoors year round. I used to have heat and basking lamp in a rubbermaid where they could warm up but took the lamps away when the male escaped and spent an entire winter free. If he can survive (have since found him) without the basking lamp then his wife can too. They still have their weather proof bin to stay dry in and hibernate all winter.I live in So Cal though.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
goochestortoise said:
My Russians stay outdoors year round. I used to have heat and basking lamp in a rubbermaid where they could warm up but took the lamps away when the male escaped and spent an entire winter free. If he can survive (have since found him) without the basking lamp then his wife can too. They still have their weather proof bin to stay dry in and hibernate all winter.I live in So Cal though.

I was just admiring Hemi today-- he FINALLY is adjusting and sitting in the sun with legs out and happy. But how often do you bring them in for a soak? I know he's using his water dish outside- but not sure it's enough. Or is it? AND I leave his greens very wet when I put them out in the morning.... Thanks :)!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Most of us don't soak our torts much when they are in outdoor enclosures.
Inside, the MVB's and basking bulbs create a very dry environment, so soaking 2-3x per week is a good idea.
Outside, the heat/light source is MUCH farther away, lol, so torts seem do do OK, with access to water.
Spraying their food, whether supplemented, or growing in the ground is a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.