Russian keeping eyes closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Lately my russian has been keeping his eyes closed a lot, even when I pick him up. He's been eating fine, and drinks whenever I soak him. I have a tube type uvb, and basking light. Could the basking light be too bright? His eyes look normal and healthy when they are open.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Could the basking light be too bright?

Yes. What is your torts enclosure like? Size, substrate, lights/heating elements used, single tort in enclosure? Diet? Exercise? Hydration? Warm humid hide in enclosure? Temps? :D

7oasty23

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Could the basking light be too bright?

Yes. What is your torts enclosure like? Size, substrate, lights/heating elements used, single tort in enclosure? Diet? Exercise? Hydration? Warm humid hide in enclosure? Temps? :D

It's 4 by 4, coconut coir substrate, I use a tube uvb and a 150 watt basking bulb. He's the only one in his enclosure. He eats mostly weeds and spring mix with greens, and some mazuri. I have a water dish that he ignores, no humid hide, but his humidity stays around 40%. I've been soaking him daily, because he always opens his eyes when I do. Temps are in the 80's during the day, and 68-75 at night. 90 directly under his lamp.ImageUploadedByTortForum1369202801.737612.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I use a tube uvb

What type, strength and how old is the bulb? Does your tort get outdoor natural sunlight time?

no humid hide, but his humidity stays around 40%. I've been soaking him daily, because he always opens his eyes when I do.

I would offer a warm humid hide so that he has that option, especially since you say he opens up his eyes during/after a soak--hydration...

Temps are in the 80's during the day,

This is the temp in the entire enclosure at all times? Do you have a cooler side/area and a warmer side? A cooler side in the day like no higher than 76 ish and then your basking spot about 90-95 ish and a warm humid hide that is always about 80 degrees....

I would also spray water on the food to increase hydration at every opportunity...

7oasty23

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I use a tube uvb

What type, strength and how old is the bulb? Does your tort get outdoor natural sunlight time?
It's a zilla I got from the pet store, not really sure about anything else, only a month old.

no humid hide, but his humidity stays around 40%. I've been soaking him daily, because he always opens his eyes when I do.

I would offer a warm humid hide so that he has that option, especially since you say he opens up his eyes during/after a soak--hydration...
What is the best way to accomplish this?

Temps are in the 80's during the day,

This is the temp in the entire enclosure at all times? Do you have a cooler side/area and a warmer side? A cooler side in the day like no higher than 76 ish and then your basking spot about 90-95 ish and a warm humid hide that is always about 80 degrees....

I would also spray water on the food to increase hydration at every opportunity...

The temps are always in the high 70's on the one side, and a little cooler than that under his palm tree. I already spray his food with water.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
ascott said:
What type and strength is your uvb tube and how old is it?

It's a zilla, only a few months old. Not sure about the strength.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Not sure about the strength.

When it is off you may be able to read the bulb info directly from the bulb?

The bulb should be replaced at 6 month intervals for the tube bulbs..

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Sounds to me like there are a couple possible issues. Are you using a coil bulb for basking? Those can damage a tortoise's eyes. The temps are a little high overall. They should have a cool side the stays in the 70s during the day. Basking should be up to 95-100. At night it needs to get down to upper 50s lower 60s. Is the humidity about 40 throughout? If that is the case I would spray the enclosure more often and try and keep the humidity closer to 50.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I added a humid hide, and raised the light about 5 inches, the temps are in the mid 70's, and he's had his eyes open all day. Unfortunately the basking spot is only mid eighties, but he's more active than he has been in weeks. Any ideas how to control the overall heat in the enclosure, and keep the basking spot warmer. My enclosure is about 4 by 4 and is completely square.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
There are a number of common causes for tortoises' having dry, puffy eyes:

Dryness (dehydration, low moisture)
Eye obstruction
Eye infection
Irritation from harsh lighting
Malnutrition (vitamin A deficiency)
Co-morbid with another problem

From the thread: "Puffy eyes: common causes"

7oasty23

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
There are a number of common causes for tortoises' having dry, puffy eyes:

Dryness (dehydration, low moisture)
Eye obstruction
Eye infection
Irritation from harsh lighting
Malnutrition (vitamin A deficiency)
Co-morbid with another problem

From the thread: "Puffy eyes: common causes"

I think I've got the problem fixed, now looking to get the temps right in the enclosure, temps are good throughout, but his basking spot is a little too cold.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Anybody know how to raise the basking spot temp without lowering the light?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What kind of basking light do you have? what brand, etc.? I believe you said it was 150w? sometimes you just get a bad bulb.
You could try a regular house bulb, 100w, and put it closer to the basking area to get the basking temps nearer to 95f.

Also, mix water in with the substrate weekly to keep the underlayers moist. Dry, dusty substrate can cause eye irritation.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Do they make any higher than a 150 watt, I already changed the height because it was hurting his eyes, and the temp was too high in the rest of his enclosure. Are the blue lights less bright?

lynnedit said:
What kind of basking light do you have? what brand, etc.? I believe you said it was 150w? sometimes you just get a bad bulb.
You could try a regular house bulb, 100w, and put it closer to the basking area to get the basking temps nearer to 95f.

Also, mix water in with the substrate weekly to keep the underlayers moist. Dry, dusty substrate can cause eye irritation.

It's a zoo med incandescent basking bulb.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You may have mentioned this, but how are you measuring your temps? What are you using? Some of the pet store thermometers are not accurate.
Once we know that, we can work further on the bulbs/basking area. You should not have to go above 150w in that side enclosure to reach a basking area of 95f, so that makes me wonder if your temp measuring device is accurate?

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I'm using analog ones I got from work, I use a food one to measure the basking area. I know the analog ones are accurate. I really can't afford a new thermometer til friday if these are not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.