Russian Night Box *PICS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
A few weeks ago I added 3 female Russians to my 1 male. They came from a fellow tortoise lover who had them for a long time but was simply downsizing.

I needed to make a larger night box and today I did just that.

Before:
Off the top of my head I think the measurements were 22"x 14". Hinged, locking roof. Locking 6"x6" door.
awao3.jpg

(locks were added after this pic was taken)

The new one:
36" long and 18" deep.
8" tall in the front and 6" tall in the back (for rain run off)
2 dividers that are 12" deep and 5" tall (for sight barriers and "get away" sections in the box)
Each door is 6" x 6"
4j9elg.jpg

**lynnedit you were right, they LOVE the low clearance box. Thanks for that tip!!

I wanted the torts to be able to access the entire box so there is still 6" of walking room in front of the dividers.
2myd0g.jpg

All painted and putting the hinges on the shingled roof.
4l50yf.jpg

Set it up in the pen. Tomorrow I plan to add the roof lock and make locking doors. (The way my door was before had dirt clogging and closing issues. I'm going to try and design the door differently this time)
6p4v34.jpg

Checking out the new box sections
311rz7l.jpg

One female telling me she approves
5k1wn7.jpg

This is turning out to be a fantastic group! I couldn't be happier with them. (They all lived together before in a larger group, so I just got lucky really)

I look forward to finishing their night box :)

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Omg that is amazing!!! What type of paint did you use? Wouldn't it be toxic to them or something? How did you do the door? Omg that is so cool!!! Sorry about all the questions, i have to make one for mine so she can spend the night outside during the summer

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That looks terrific!
You could partially bury a 'foundation' of bricks underneath (1-2" clearance above the soil, approx).
Torts can easily climb over that, but it would prevent soil from building up and keeping the door from closing. Or at least it would be easy to clear out.
(Sometimes I add some gravel in front of the bricks to help with access).

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I used an exterior, semi gloss, primer and paint combo. I don't paint anything that would be used in an indoor enclosure but have no problem painting things outside.

I used a circular saw for all the cutting but a skill saw to cut the doorways.

The issue I had with my door was dirt falling into the hinge. I had a wood block as a door foundation but it didn't help.
I'm sure I'll figure something out pretty quickly...

I didn't insulate or add a heat source because they are Russians in so Cal. My leopards will get the insulated thermostat regulated house when the time comes.

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

Lynne, do you have a picture of the brick and gravel in the doorway?

Heather

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I realized that I used the brick idea previously, I went and looked. The current one is a 2x8" with a door cut into it, leaving a lip at the bottom. But it's the same concept.
I don't have a door on mine, but what if you had the doors hinge sideways? you don't need the door as a ramp.
Or, hinge up, and use a hook and eye to hold it up?
Would either option keep the dirt out of the hinges?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes the dirt won't be a problem as long as my hinge isn't on the bottom so close to the dirt.

A side or top door is one of my considerations.
:)

Heather

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
For a door, what if you cut one more piece of plywood slightly smaller than the inside dimension, and just slide it down while the lid is open. It will close all three doors. If you used a couple rips, or 1x2's, they could attach to the inside sides to make a channel to slide in. On the inside top, a small handle for opening...done.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
yagyujubei said:
For a door, what if you cut one more piece of plywood slightly smaller than the inside dimension, and just slide it down while the lid is open. It will close all three doors. If you used a couple rips, or 1x2's, they could attach to the inside sides to make a channel to slide in. On the inside top, a small handle for opening...done.

Wow. Great suggestion, and adds extra security. I think you should be the TFO problem solver. ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
yagyujubei said:

I have thought about doing exactly this! ..maybe this confirms my idea. Thanks :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Very nice! You might think about putting wire on the bottom to keep anything from digging under it. Believe me - I've seen it happen. I usually dig down a little so I can add some substrate for them to dig in. BTW - I have three Russian eggs! :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The first box used to have a large 2ft deep tote buried under it. It was attached to the house frame so nothing could dig in or out. I liked it but after a while the dirt inside was real dry and dusty..
With this new one I've added a lock to the roof. I have been blocking the doorways at night but haven't set up a permanent door yet. I have a large door made but need to paint it and attach it.
Putting wire on the bottom dug down about 2' was part of my original idea before using the tote. I think I may opt for doing that after all.

Also, today I bought some cinder blocks and caps to make the hides that member Kameya recently posted about. I'm going to make one in the leopard pen and see how it goes..don't know if I'll like it or if the leopard will. ??we'll see.

Congrats on the eggs Kimber! How exciting!!

Oh and I will continue to mention to you how much I LOVE this group of Russians :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The buried tote may work better in the PNW as we have more moisture. Wire underground just rots here (not plastic wire, of course!).

So glad your 4 Russians are getting along (it helps that the 3 were previously together), you are quite lucky!

Let us know what you decide about securing the doors for the night.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have some black plastic mesh fencing. I never thought to consider that. Would that be preferred over metal? Hmm.

The door piece is a long piece of wood that will be one door to cover all 3 holes. It's cut and sanded. I had run out of paint rollers but bought them today. I'll probably get it painted tomorrow.
Still deciding if I'll make it a ramp with bottom hinges or make it a slide down door.

Heather

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think people in drier parts of California can use wire mesh underneath w/o issue. I have used plastic fencing mesh under a tortoise enclosure, and been very happy with it; almost easier to work with.

I vote for the slide down door so you don't have to worry about the hinges getting dirt in them (unless you can figure out a way to avoid that). You can add drainage rock or bricks at the entrance to build it up, if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.