Russian not eating for almost a week

Buzz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
I noticed he wasn't really eating as much about 2 or 3 weeks ago. First I thought maybe the UV part of his Power Sun bulb had gone bad so I replaced it. Then I noticed when he did eat he had trouble getting stuff in his mouth because of the long beak. (That's what got me on the vitamin A thing. See my posts in the diet thread)

Now his beak is trimmed and he still isn't eating. Last time he ate was Sunday. He seems sluggish in his cage, like its a chore to get his head up over the rim of his bowl. But, he seems to move well enough when I bath him or take him outside. Vet who looked at him also thought he was sluggish and recommended more exercise outside.

I don't know what happened. Other than his light bulb, there have been no changes in his environment or diet in years.

Tort is at least 20 years old and about 6 inches long.

He used to eat spring mix and radicchio with the occasional carrot every day. (Recently I tried to temp him with strawberries but no dice.)

The surface temp of his shell under the light is between 90 and 100 F. The other end of his cage is around 70 F during the day and 60 F at night. Some users on the forum pointed out that he may be too dry. That may be but its been that way for years. No sudden change. (I'm bathing him more in the meantime while I get a humid hide set up)

I know torts can go a while without eating, but I'm concerned. Any advice is welcome.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Gosh, this is a hard one to figure out.

So often they stop eating because they're too cold. With that in mind, I would try raising his day temp by 10° to 80°, and his night temp by 10° to 70°. You don't have anything to lose by trying it. Being cold might also explain his lethargy.

If it doesn't help in several days, drop temps back down.

Buzz

5 Year Member
Wisconsin, USA
Today my wife placed lettuce on a tupperware lid and he ate off it. (but not a lot).

Could he simply not like his normal food dish anymore? For years I've used glazed ceramic dishes that are about 8" diameter with a half inch lip around the edge.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Today my wife placed lettuce on a tupperware lid and he ate off it. (but not a lot).

Could he simply not like his normal food dish anymore? For years I've used glazed ceramic dishes that are about 8" diameter with a half inch lip around the edge.

Who knows the mind of a tortoise?? I don't think anyone will ever figure that out! ?

I guess it's possible he doesn't like it, but not super likely.

Have you raised his heat to 80° at his shell level? That is first to do before getting a new food dish. BTW, a terra cotta plant saucer is a great food dish, as well as a water dish. The slightly rough surface helps keep their beak trimmed.

Buzz

5 Year Member
Wisconsin, USA
He's finally eating again, but not as much as he used to. I think what turned the tide was my wife letting him roam around the floor. He wouldn't eat out of his bowl in the cage but he'd eat lettuce off the floor. He must want to forage.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
He's finally eating again, but not as much as he used to. I think what turned the tide was my wife letting him roam around the floor. He wouldn't eat out of his bowl in the cage but he'd eat lettuce off the floor. He must want to forage.

Well, isn't he picky! I do hope you won't have to continue feeding him that way. But I'm so glad he's eating!

I read about your CHE issues..very strange. I hope you get everything straightened out soon, so you can relax. I know this is stressful.