Russian not pooping. Digestive issue? Vet indicated?

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
after separating my male and female Russian mated pair in January this year, ( prior 12 years spent together in same enclosure) he seemed off. Not eating on own, no evidence of pee or poop. Losing weight. I began soaking every other day. While active in soaks pretty much went to hide constantly. Upped the daylight to 14 hours from 12. February began daily soaks and hand feeding. He ate minimally from hand. Began to see pee while hand feeding, not a lot, and urate crystals. Now mid March - still hand feeding, will eat after soak and has increased volume of food that he will accept before running off to hide. and Very scant poop about once a week now - like less than a 1/2 teaspoon.
He will not bask, still running off to burrow in hide.
Power sun bulb and ceramic heat emitter being used.
Nighttime temps 72, basking 92. Cool end 72.
Considering removing his hide.
Eyes look clear.
He has not been hibernated, and it IS winter here in NY.

Suggestions welcome!!!
(BTW he is a new DAD to 2 recent hatchlings - I know, irrelevant, but exciting here for us)
Also
I have NO idea how old he is, for all I know he could be 60
Wild caught Im sure, and while gained weight - 522 gms start, 567 gms max, lost 7 gms prior to start of hand feeding ( after getting him, he has not really grown in shell size significantly at all.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did you put the male into a totally different (different to him) enclosure? If so, he probably is wanting back to his original, safe territory. Did you separate them because we're always saying pairs are no good? For 12 years pairs seemed to work for you. If he wasn't causing the female any stress, I see no reason to have separated them. Put him back into his original habitat and see if he perks up.

Everyone has to take our "advice" with their own situation in mind. We don't have hard, fast rules, but merely suggestions. I know sometimes we sound like you'd better do it our way or else, but really, you all have to weigh all factors. Take our advice as suggestions. Try it. If it doesn't work, try something else.

If your female wasn't being hounded to death, leave them to be as a pair.

Reactions: Rue

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Habitat changes are stressful. Give him more time. Don't remove his hide - that will not help with the stress.