34KING18

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT , USA

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I say go with the red foot. You can watch him grow throughout the years which I think is really cool. They both would do perfectly fine in cypress mulch.

Casey666

5 Year Member
Connecticut
I have a Russian and there hasn't been many problems at all. just be careful where you purchase them

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I live in NY and have two Cherry Head RF's and if I had to do it all over again, I would never have gotten them. They are wonderful pets, and friendly, and beautiful. When I see them outside all Summer and loving their garden, I feel so bad bringing them in for the Winter. To me they should be in a climate that they can stay out all year. I consider my indoor enclosures very nice and have all the proper lighting, heating, etc. But when I bring them in they are so sad and won't eat for a few days. Of course now I can't part with them, but I do feel very bad for them too. There are many people here and others that I know that have RF's and bring them in for the Winter with no problem, so this is just my opinion.

34KING18

5 Year Member
CT , USA
So you guys are more headed toward the russian over the red foot?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Im always headed towards both! :)

The decision is ultimately yours in the end. we all have so many pros and cons to add to each species. I of course will find no cons to any species. I do however favor redfoots. Russians tend to be very fun and outgoing have great personalities, and stay a very good size. Redfoots have LOADS of personality, but would also outgrow your enclosure in about 3 years. If you have room outside and want to have a semi larger species, then the redfoot is ideal. They do get somewhat large, but takes some years. A russian is a great beginner species, so is a hermann, have you thought of hermanns?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It comes down to the question of how much room indoors and outdoors you want to give them. My first torts were redfoots and have kept them for over 40 years. They now have an entire room devoted to them in order provide both temp and humidity required over the winter months. The outside summer enclosure is also sizeable. As has been stated they are sizeable. All this being said I wouldn't give them up for anything. I have also kept russians and found them an enduring tort that if cbb are probably an easier type to house. Finally I would say which ever you chose get a captive bred from a reputative breeder not from a petshop as these are usually wild caught with attendant problems.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm thinking a russian may be easier. In my experience, when it comes to any reptiles I find the more "tropical" species to be more difficult in terms of care than those that need less humidity.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Russian Russian Russian! Love mine and when I was brand new to torts I needed the "time off" that their hibernation provides. It gave me some time to tweak their enclosure, learn more and have a break all while they slept peacefully.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I bought my Russian last year he is my first tort and I love him to bits :) he has a strong personality loves to be smoothed and have his head tickled, and he's a manageable size as I don't have tonnes of room

Status
Not open for further replies.