Russian puttin on weight and acting veryy strange!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garon

5 Year Member
Hi I posted abit ago about my Russian gaining weight. I have just been in to check on her and she is very anxious running round the enclosure and burying her whole body?? Why is this

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
What are your temperatures? Maybe you are keeping her too warm. The running around I think is usually a temp problem, being consistently kept warm all the time can lead to accelerated growth too. What are your enclosure temps, basking, warm, cool and overnight?

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, dont have russians, i have cakes. my female gets very active when shes going to have an egg. could it be looking for a place to have them? good luck.

garon

5 Year Member
She can't be looking to lay eggs as i don't have a male. And the enclosure is about 26 cool 32 under light and at night about 18??

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
She could be pregnant from before, did the person you rescued her from have her in contact with males? They can hold onto sperm for quite some time!
Or
She could just be really happy enjoying her new life :) and new chef ;P

garon

5 Year Member
Yes the person did have a male but i have had her for months now.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
32 under light? Hmm hold on, American here, need a temp conversion... Temps should be about 36 under basking light. (That's about 96F, for those wanting conversion).
Your cool side temps are fine. So you're not running hot. She's a growing tort, so maybe her growth spurt has her running around? As long as you don't think she's stressed, it should be ok.

garon

5 Year Member
I will get a higher watt bulb then thanks

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
make sure she has hiding places... is she eating well? if not then there may be another reason for the weight gain...

garon

5 Year Member
She's got 2 hides one at warm end one at cool. Yeah she eats fine maybe she's just growing but it seemed a bit sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.