Russian Roulette Roadway Rescue...

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
For Russians you should put some kind of barrier 12 inches or so under ground. They will dig under those landscaping timbers

AJK Aquaria

For Russians you should put some kind of barrier 12 inches or so under ground. They will dig under those landscaping timbers

There is a narrow trench that was dug before setting the first 2 rows of timbers. Once the center is dug out and scaped, there will be roughly 7-8" of timber underground. Large stone will be in each corner to deter digging there. I'm not going any deeper.

AJK Aquaria

So here's the enclosure. My solar powered electric charger arrived yesterday, and I'll get that up and running tonight. Gary spent most of yesterday and last night indoors due to heavy rains. I transplanted plantain, dandelion and some clover to allow some natural grazing. Half the enclosure was weed whacked severely. The hide is a 5 gallon bucket halved, and then slapped together to provide an overhang that covers the entry trench. I may be redoing this as I think the burrow section gets too damp after a heavy shower.

5VXmPOj.jpg

The main issue I'm having is his appetite. Basically not eating much at all. Along with the above mentioned weeds being offered(on a feeding dish and naturally growing) I tried what I had in the fridege- bok choy and mustard greens, along with Mazuri. He's had a few bites that we've seen. I'm hoping this is just him adjusting. He's very inquisitive, and does not have a fear of humans. I left the perimeter clear of plants and decor to allow him space to patrol the perimeter, which he does constantly.

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks

Reactions: Rue

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
With multiple changes in environment (from who knows where, to the road, to temporary quarters, and finally to this new but still being modified enclosure), I wouldn't worry that he's not eating much yet. You don't know what he was eating before either; it could have been something delicious but not very good for him. Something he wouldn't like to give up.

Actually, I would worry some simply because I'm a worrywort! But the rational side of my brain would tell me to be patient and give the tortoise more time to adjust. :)

Great looking enclosure!

AJK Aquaria

Thanks Rosemary. Good points and kind of what I was thinking, but I'm an impatient person. I think it's this terrible state I live in...

Anyways, he definitely dined on the plantain and dandelion today. It was almost gone when I came home from work. Unless a colony of leaf cutter ants suddenly appeared, he had his first substantial meal in our care.

And I definitely want to add a small, low growing bush of some sort. Having only the hide and overhang as shade/shelter is not enough, IMO.