Russian Shedding a lot

JackAttack88

Hi. I'm fairly new to this site and I'm not even sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I really need help! I have a male Russian named Jack, and he's about 6 months (I believe so anyway). He's been shedding skin and I read that shedding in small amounts is normal, but he seems to be shedding a lot (though I'm not sure how much "a lot" is.) Is he shedding too much, and how do I help this problem?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 37

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to our Forum!

I'm fairly certain that Jack is much older than the 6 months you thought...that is, unless you bought him from a breeder. With the Federal regulation that says turtles and tortoises must be 4" minimum front to back, pet stores, etc. can't sell tortoises under 4". And a 4" russian tortoise is generally around 8 or 10 years of age.

The shedding you are seeing on the tortoise's neck is quite normal. If you give him a bit more moisture in the habitat it helps to stop it.

Astall

I just adopted a russian as well. He had very similar issues. We started soaking 4 times a week to help the dead skin fall off. He was very very dry. Starting to see improvement in just 2 weeks thus far.