Russian Tail Spur Injury

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
We just came home from dinner and noticed a small patch of blood (smaller than a dime) on one of Steve's basking rocks, and of course the Mommy that I am started flipping out. We can see that the injury is at the spur on the end of his tail, and it looks like it's kind of starting to fall off. Not sure if this was intentional or even why it would be, but we did guess maybe it had gotten caught on the bark of his wooden log hide when he tried to climb it.

I definitely want to wash it (I'm guessing very carefully) to keep it from getting infected. Another forum's topic suggested applying betadine to prevent infection; would you all suggest this? I'm including photos as well in case you can give me any washing tips. Also, I'm curious as to whether I should try to wrap it with a Band Aid or something or would that only trap in dirt/feces particles and make it worse? Thanks so much!!

Spur1.jpg Spur2.jpg Spur3.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Also, is it bad if the spur falls off (assuming he will probably never mate)?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He should still be able to mate, or at least give it the old college try. The spur aids in mating, but not 100 % needed. I would use some triple antibiotic cream myself.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
He should still be able to mate, or at least give it the old college try. The spur aids in mating, but not 100 % needed. I would use some triple antibiotic cream myself.
Thanks for your response! Is that different than betadine?