Russian Toroise Indoor Habitat on a budget

BTBrawn

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello everyone! I recently inherited a Russian tortoise to share with my daughter (although I am taking on a bulk of the care, lol.)

I was looking up how to care for Tommy and found this site. Looks like I'm on the right track! Please be patient with me as this will be my first non-furry family member. I want to learn as much as I can to make sure Tommy is healthy, happy and well cared for.

Thanks in advance for anyone who gives helpful advice! And thank you for welcoming me to the community!

BT

BTBrawn

Ohio
Welcome! Russians are the best! :)

You've probably already checked it out but just in case, here is the Russian care sheet: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

I'm working on a very tight budget. So far for the enclosure I have been able to get together the following things:

Kiddie pool (Not the biggest one they had but what I could afford at the time)

2 40lb bags of soil

2 8" terracotta clay saucers : I got 2 because they were on sale and I figured it would be easier for quick change/clean and just in case 1 breaks.

I would really like to find items to use for finishing up the rest of the enclosure on a budget. Any tips would be appreciated!

BTBrawn

Ohio
So I recently become the proud co-owner of a Russian Tortoise with my teenage daughter. She was given Tommy by a family friend on her mom's side along with the care info.

After being on this site I realize a LOT of that info was wrong.

I want to make sure that Tommy is a very healthy and happy tortoise but I am on a pretty tight budget right now. He needs to get out of the tiny tank they were keeping him in and into something bigger.

I haven't been able to put anything together for him just yet as I want to get as much together as possible so I'm not constantly disrupting him. Here is what I have so far:

1. A 43"W x 7-1/2"D wading or kiddie pool
  2. 2 40lb bags of top soil
  3. 2 8" terracotta clay saucers (I got 2 because they were on sale and thought it couldn't hurt to have an extra just in case)

I know he needs more to make his habitat more suitable but I need some guidance that won't break the bank. Just absolute basics at this point. Are there items that I might have lying around the house that could be repurposed for his hiding spot, perhaps?

Any and all helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to this and want to learn as much as possible. Thank you all so much!

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
If you have access to weeds that have not been treated with pesticides or fertilizers, such as plantain, (longleaf or broadleaf) chicory, dandelion, or clover, they would provide line of site barriers and would be a food source for your tortoise to graze on. You could also put some rocks in for your tortoise to climb on.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello and welcome from Texas! It's good to know that I was not the only fool who fell for allowing a young daughter to get her first "very own pet":) I too, had never before had any experience with anything other than the "furry friends" and plunging into reptile keeping has been nothing but fun and lots of learning over the last 2 yrs, so no regrets here:) My Daughter was 10 yrs old at the time, wise and mature beyond her age... but still it didn't take very long bfr I was finding myself doing majority of work and research. Luckily, I don't mind doing it and over here it's a win-win situation. The kids know they get to take over the torts when I can't do it any more. Plus, this Forum has been a lot of fun, I hope you find it be a very enjoyable experience like I have.

BTBrawn

Ohio
If you have access to weeds that have not been treated with pesticides or fertilizers, such as plantain, (longleaf or broadleaf) chicory, dandelion, or clover, they would provide line of site barriers and would be a food source for your tortoise to graze on. You could also put some rocks in for your tortoise to climb on.

This will be an indoor habitat. And I would like to get the basics together quickly as he has been cooped up in a small tank.

Is there anything you can recommend that I get together other than what I mentioned above so I can get him the room he needs ASAP? I'm also on a bit of a limited budget at the moment. Tommy and his tank was free but the rest is coming out of my pocket and I need to go about this properly but cheaply for the time being.

Thanks!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Do you have any lighting? That's really important but I'll leave that to the experts. It can be cheap but it's probably where you'll spend the most.

Once the lighting is taken care of, consider the following.

It doesn't sound like there is a hide in there for him? Place a teracotta pot on its side and halfway bury it into the soil. You can use the plastic container a plant came in, sideways,;a round Quaker outs container; some kind of dark plastic Tupperware of other plastic bin with a hole cut in it. Something small and dark he can get into to get secure. Low and small is the goal.

They sell small "log" hides at Petsmart and on Amazon pretty cheap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQBSI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20. You don't need to buy one but the link will give you an idea what you're going for.

You should be able to buy a spider plant at Home Depot pretty cheap; that's something he won't it but that will make him feel more secure.

BTBrawn

Ohio
Do you have any lighting? That's really important but I'll leave that to the experts. It can be cheap but it's probably where you'll spend the most.

Once the lighting is taken care of, consider the following.

It doesn't sound like there is a hide in there for him? Place a teracotta pot on its side and halfway bury it into the soil. You can use the plastic container a plant came in, sideways,;a round Quaker outs container; some kind of dark plastic Tupperware of other plastic bin with a hole cut in it. Something small and dark he can get into to get secure. Low and small is the goal.

They sell small "log" hides at Petsmart and on Amazon pretty cheap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQBSI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20. You don't need to buy one but the link will give you an idea what you're going for.

You should be able to buy a spider plant at Home Depot pretty cheap; that's something he won't it but that will make him feel more secure.

Actually, I have a few old pots so I will find one to use. Excellent idea!

Also, I work with someone who is constantly trying to give away new spider plant starts as they have a massive one that keeps producing starts all the time. They will be more than happy to give this to me FREE.

I do need lighting ideas. What will cover the basic needs? Right now our home is pretty hot in the summer (like right now) and cooler in the winter but he will be close to a safe heat source. Still, I want him to have the things he needs to thrive.

Thanks for the help!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I see you have posted a similar question on lighting in the enclosure subforum. That's the very best place and I'm sure someone will be along to help you out soon.

If spider plants are FREE!, get two! :)

Hi there and welcome!
On the lighting, as long as his enclosure stays at at least 65° at night, then you should be able to start off with one light. The best one is a Powersun UV at 100 watt, and it is waaaay cheaper to buy it online.
This light is simulating sunlight, which has extremely vital vitamins and such to keep him healthy.